AVIC411.com

Does the AVH-X8500BHS work with iPhone App Mode AND U250 Navigation?

I have an AVH-X8500BHS and am using "Advanced App Mode" with my iPhone 5.

Is it possible to also use an AVIC-U250 Navigation unit and keep my iPhone 5 advanced app mode?  ...or do they conflict and I have to use one or the other?

I'm thinking about just upgrading to the Z150 but it has limitations with video files (see other topics) and the interface seems a bit older than the X8500BHS...

Thoughts?

There is no reason it shouldn't but the introduction of the 250 may render your motion bypass inoperable if you have one. Also the Pioneer navi software used in all of their units is complete garbage. You are better off going with app mode and apps like iGo Primo. You will have superior navi and save a lot of money.

Thanks...

That's what I was thinking.  The convience of a built-in Navigation is nice so you don't have to plug-in the phone everytime but I do agree that the quality of the software is probably much, much better on the phone.

Are you pretty happy with your AppRadio 2 + iPhone 5 setup?

I have an AVH-X8500BHS but I'm sorta thinking about going with an AppRadio 2 because of the capacitive touchscreen but I don't want to lose SiriusXM (built-in), etc.

(I also purchased a Kenwood DNX890HD to compare with but besides the Garmin nav the receiver is really, really terrible...)

Are you pretty happy with your AppRadio 2 + iPhone 5 setup?

Quite happy. In fact, Ive own all of the high end navis from Pioneer and Kenwood sense 06 and this unit is as close to flawless that Pioneer or anyone else has ever released. Also consider you likely wont use the navi portion nearly as much as the music portion so App Mode navi should be ideal.

Gotcha, thanks!

Last question...

Besides the price, what is your thoughts on the AVH-X8500BHS versus the AppRadio 2?

The 8500 offers a bunch more features but lacks capacitive screen and dedicated GPS. I wonder if there is a difference in screen quality?

Ok, thanks.

My only complaint is that my steering wheel track buttons don't skip between radio station presets. Instead, they skip by frequency one by one. However, it does work fine with Bluetooth or iPod control.

If I manually change my steering wheel adapter then the Bluetooth and iPod doesn't skip right.

It does seem to be specific to pioneer because the kenwood deck did skip between presets using the same adapter...

There is no reason it shouldn't but the introduction of the 250 may render your motion bypass inoperable if you have one. Also the Pioneer navi software used in all of their units is complete garbage. You are better off going with app mode and apps like iGo Primo. You will have superior navi and save a lot of money.

So I was doing more research and according to this video with a Pioneer rep it's either one or the other. The U250 or App Radio mode:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X850BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X8500BHS.html

My main concern for going all App Radio is that this will be installed in the wifes car. Is iGo Primo the best NAV option for the App Radio that allows nav functions without cellular data reception? Any other NAV apps I should be looking into for App Radio.

• 1 month later...

That is correct. You can't have track skip and preset change on the same buttons and it is unique to Pioneer.

Hey there, I'm completely new to forums, but I thought I'd chime in on a topic that I spent HOURS researching and was eventually able to figure out with a little help.  If you're using the axxess aswc-1 steering wheel interface you CAN actually re-map the controls to skip pre-sets.  I contacted the axxess tech support team and they were able to guide me through the process and it was actually pretty simple.  The latest update allows you to DUAL map the buttons on your steering wheel.  I.e. a single press changes the channel manually, but a long press skips to the next pre-set.  Ok so here it goes...first you have to make sure the aswc-1 unit is updated with the latest firmware from their site.  After its updated its a simple 4 step process.

1) Hold down the SEEK UP button for 10 seconds & watch GREEN LED go ON (on the aswc-1)

2) Release SEEK UP button

3) Press the VOL UP button and then release seven (7) times.  (Seven is the Preset Up button number in the chart).

4) Press the SEEK UP button to confirm that we are finished and to store this information.

repeat the process for the pre-set down funtion but instead of pressing the VOL UP button 7 times you'll press it 8 times.

I also found this list of commands(corresponds to the number of times you press VOL UP) on another forum, but i haven't tested any of them so use at your own risk.

• 1. Volume Up
  • 2. Volume Down
  • 3. Seek Up/Next
  • 4. Seek Down/Prev
  • 5. Source/Mode
  • 6. Mute
  • 7. Preset Up
  • 8. Preset Down
  • 9. Power
  • 10. Band
  • 11. Play/Enter
  • 12. PTT (Push To Talk)
  • 13. On Hook
  • 14. Off Hook

Also, I realize this post was almost 2 months ago so hopefully you got it all straightened out by now, but if not I hope this helps you out.  Also keep in mind that I did this on a 2010 Subaru Forester XT with the AVH-X8500BHS and the Axxess ASWC-1, but it should be the same on all vehicles if you have the same set-up. 

Good Luck!

Billy

Yeah apparently there was an issue with the aswc-1 prior to the newest firmware update that was causing a conflict with pioneer "X" series models.  The new update supposedly fixed all of the bugs.  After I did the update I was able to re-map the pre-set buttons.  Also my "mode" button is now working properly to switch between all of the functions of the unit.  I still need to re-map the "mute" button (for some reason is only does the "att" function which doesn't completely mute the radio), but for now I think I'll leave well enough alone.  I can live with my "almost" mute function.