AVIC411.com

AVH-X8500BHS TRACK Buttons not working in AppRadio

So I had the AVH-X8500BHS installed last week along with the CD-IU202S cable for the iPhone 4S. I also have iGo Primo installed for the Navigation on the iPhone.

The problem I ran into is that when you are listening to the iPod and switch over to AppRadio mode, the Track Forward/Backward buttons do not work, even though the music continues to play, so I have no way of skipping to the next track/song while I am in iGo Primo. In fact, I can't skip tracks at all once I enter in the AppRadio mode. I tried launching CarMediaPlay and can skip forward and backward within the CarMediaPlay app but I can't skip tracks as soon as I exit that app and switch back to iGo Primo or any other app.

Is this a known bug for AppRadio or do I have a defective AVH-X8500BHS?

I think thats just the way it is... Same way with my galaxy s3. I think of it as there is no hard track button on the phone itself, so how could it work in AppMode ya know? If you wanted to switch tracks on your phone (not in the car) you have to open itunes and switch tracks, same way in appmode.

It certainly can work when in App Mode because it does on the App Radio without issue. Clearly this is another software bug with App Mode on this series of units.

Just to confirm, your SPH-DA100 lets you skip tracks while in the AppRadio menu/app and in iGo Primo?

i can confirm this happens with my 8500 and iphone 5, so annoying

Wow, another step back for Pioneer... Hopefully an update fixes this since all of their navi units lets you skip tracks while still in the Map/Navi mode.

I jailbroke my 4S, I wonder if there are any Cydia extensions/apps that can fix this issue.

Yes as long as you have steering wheel controls. There are no controls on the face of the unit..

Thanks, def sounds like a bug then with the AVH-X8500BHS since I cant change tracks on the physical buttons on the stereo or the steering wheel.

I sent an email out to Pioneer, let's see what they say.

Well this is the response I received from Pioneer:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
I'm sorry, this is normal operation for the unit.
You would need to press the mode button to return to the iPod, change your song and then press the mode button to return to the navigation application.

I will forward your concern to our product planners, hopefully they can make it better in the future.

Pretty lame and a huge step backwards for their AppRadio line.

Thanks for the tip on the remote, I'll give that a try.

UPDATE:

I was messing around with the settings on the radio tonight and ran into the "App Sound Mixing" option in the System Settings.To my surprise, setting it to "HIGH" allowed me to use the TRACK buttons for the iPod while in AppRadio!!!

The TRACK buttons now work to FF/RW tracks while listening to the iPod in AppRadio mode! The only downside I see is that it doesn't show the track info on the bottom of the screen while in AppRadio but I guess I could live with that for now. The TRACK buttons also work now  while listening to HD Radio AND it shows the HD Radio info for the station.

As for Pioneer tech support, I'm going to have to write up a response back to their so called tech about this!!!

FYI no track info displays other then radio info on App Radio so this is actually the way it works so no issue here.

As for Pioneer tech support, I'm going to have to write up a response back to their so called tech about this!!!

Nothing new here. Been writing about their dismal support on this forum for years. I have even on several occasions educated them on their own products.

FYI no track info displays other then radio info on App Radio so this is actually the way it works so no issue here.

Nothing new here. Been writing about their dismal support on this forum for years. I have even on several occasions educated them on their own products.

Thanks, hopefully an AppRadio update will fix that issue with the track info one day.

In re: to support, that's why I've always come to Avic411 first before even attempting to contact Pioneer or the local shops! :D

Now time to start customizing the radio and AppRadio a little bit more now that it's actually usable for me.

This is the response I got from Pioneer (pretty much the same as FourDoor:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
Thanks for taking the time to provide the comment/feedback on the Pioneer product.
Unfortunately, this is normal operation for the unit.

I will forward your comment to our product planners.

Good News!

Installed a Maestro SW for the steering wheel controls today.  I now can get track skip and folder skip functions with playing a source in the background with Waze being viewed on the screen.

Setup:

2013 WRX (used 2012 WRX to program Maestro SW)

IPhone 5 running Waze

AVH-X8500BHS

Confirmed source mode behavior using up down keys on steering wheel (with Waze running in foreground):

Radio = press -> tune station, press and hold -> cycles through presets

USB2 = press -> skip track, press and hold -> cycles to next folder

CD = press -> skip track, press and hold -> cycles to next folder

Now I can live with the Stereo.  My only complaint now is the lack of brightness of the display.  Next to impossible to view in bright sunlight with sunglasses on.