AVIC411.com

AVH-X8500BHS TRACK Buttons not working in AppRadio

Good News!

Installed a Maestro SW for the steering wheel controls today.  I now can get track skip and folder skip functions with playing a source in the background with Waze being viewed on the screen.

Setup:

2013 WRX (used 2012 WRX to program Maestro SW)

IPhone 5 running Waze

AVH-X8500BHS

Confirmed source mode behavior using up down keys on steering wheel (with Waze running in foreground):

Radio = press -> tune station, press and hold -> cycles through presets

USB2 = press -> skip track, press and hold -> cycles to next folder

CD = press -> skip track, press and hold -> cycles to next folder

Now I can live with the Stereo.  My only complaint now is the lack of brightness of the display.  Next to impossible to view in bright sunlight with sunglasses on.

Wait, are you saying that you can cycle through your radio presets with your steering wheel?

If so, how?

My car has the following steering wheel buttons:

[Track +], [Track -], [Volume +], [Volume -], [source]

When I press [Track +] using the radio, it changes to the next frequency but NOT the next preset.  This was a deal-breaker for me, but if you have it working where the steering wheel skips through presets please let me know!

Discovered more info ---

I have discovered that the App Connection Settings was not set to iPhone (Digitial AV) needed for the IPhone 5 on my AVH-X8500BHS.  Once I got this set correctly (search my other post if you are having difficulty setting the App Connection Settings), the track buttons on the radio now function correctly when running a source in the background and appRadio running in the foreground (the app I am using is Waze).

Wait, are you saying that you can cycle through your radio presets with your steering wheel?

If so, how?

My car has the following steering wheel buttons:

[Track +], [Track -], [Volume +], [Volume -], [source]

When I press [Track +] using the radio, it changes to the next frequency but NOT the next preset.  This was a deal-breaker for me, but if you have it working where the steering wheel skips through presets please let me know!

Pioneer units have never worked properly in this respect. You can not have preset skip on the same button as track skip for media sources. (CD/DVD, iPod) If you have your steering wheel controls programed for track skip, it will correspond to station frequency skip only for the same button. I suggest Serevok look at it more closely and report back. It also appears he may be from outside the US so that may be a factor as well. But if this does work the way he says, it would be a first.

Current Setup:

1) CAR = 2013 Subaru WRX

2) Location = U.S.

3) H.U. = AVH-X8500BHS (purchased from Crutchfield)

4) Phone - IPhone 5

5) AppRadio Installed (app running = Waze)

6) Steering Wheel Adapter = Maestro SW (Used 2012 WRX firmware setup to program Maestro SW)

The Maestro SW allows you to program each steering wheel button with TWO functions.  To use the first function you press the steering wheel button quickly.  To activate the second function you press and hold the steering wheel button (for about a second).  This is confirmed functionality of my setup with Waze running in foreground and source (Radio, USB2, CD) running in the background or just the source running in the foreground:

Functionality:

Radio = press up or down button -> tune station, press and hold up or down button -> cycles through presets

USB2 = press up or down button -> skip track, press and hold up or down button-> cycles to next folder

CD = press up or down button -> skip track, press and hold up or down button -> cycles to next folder

Note on Radio:  the presets on the AVH-X8500BHS are grouped in three pages with 6 presets on each page.  Performing a press and hold of the up or down button will cycle through station presets for the current active page.  For example starting at preset 1 and performing a press and hold on the up button 6 times will do the following: preset 1 -> preset 2 -> preset 3 -> preset 4 -> preset 5 -> preset 6 -> preset 1 all on the SAME page.

Note on USB2: These are mp3 files grouped in different folders by artist.

Note on CD: These are mp3 files with various artists grouped into multiple folders.

Hopefully this is clear enough for everyone.

Hey Sofakng, 

I checked on the Crutchfield site for compatibility of a Maestro SW with a Toyota 2011 Rav4 with Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS.  According to Crutchfield they say it is compatible.  You might want to call Crutchfield tech support and confirm.

Yeah, I noticed that too but on the iDatalink website it doesn't show it as being compatible.

I'll investigate it a bit though with Crutchfield...

Unfortunately I -just- ordered a Kenwood DDX770 before I saw your original post and the the preset issue was a big deal for me but now I'll have to think about exchanging it or thinking about what I want to do.

The only other thing I had problems with in the past (even with my short time with the X8500BHS) is the daytime visibility of the unit.  In my car the stereo is at the top of the dash angled towards the windshield so it's the worst possible location and receives lots of direct sunlight, but for some reason the Kenwood units are quite a bit brighter... :(

...but I MUCH, MUCH prefer the software/interface of the Pioneer units...

• 5 weeks later...
Hi , Guys ..

I have a Appradio 2 and I'm also not getting skip tracks in App radio mode.  I've looked for the  "App Sound Mixing" option but I don't think this is there on the Appradio 2.  Has anybody solved this issue on Appradio 2 ?