AVIC411.com

So I've been debating whether or not I wanted to post this or not for a while, and today I decided to. I searched for similar topics here and found a few where people point out that you have to change the settings so it takes the shortest route, the longest route, etc, but I really don't see how that applies to what seems like blatantly poor route planning and directions. Does anyone else have issues with their Z? And I mean the directions are down right completely wrong! In November I programmed in an address for Lake Zurich IL. While heading east on Lake Cook Road, it wanted me to go past Route 12 by a block, make a u-turn, then come back and make a left turn (instead of making a right turn onto 12 from the intersection I was at). Today I punched in an address for a dentist in Barrington IL. As I approached the building, it wanted me to turn left which would put me on the opposite side of a 6 lane road (instead of turning right and in their parking lot). Keep in mind these were both long established addresses, there was no construction, detours, etc to have to navigate around (and these are just two examples I have, there's been many more).

I have found a workaround to this, or at least what seems to be one: enter the city first, then the address. But since the address is the first entry point on the screen I don't see why the info needs to be entered backwards. I also have to believe I'm not the only one with this issue.

Mine is a Z110BT upgraded to a Z140BT thanks to the help of everyone on this forum...

• 6 months later...

I had this problem a few months ago. We were going camping towing a 34' camper with a diesel excursion. 4 people 1 dog and the other 3 couples were already there waiting on us. I programmed it in and it said it would take 5 hours. But it's only a 3 hour trip. So I'm thinking it normally catches up time as you drive NOPE. It took us 5+ hours on fastest route, 2 hours out of the way. And coming back leaving the camp ground it took us the 3 hour route. It's amazing how this crappy system works. But then when we pull out the iphone it will take us a different way or to a totally different place. GPS sucks but sometimes is the the best invention ever.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem. About three weeks ago I had an  AVIC-Z150BH unit professionally installed in my Porsche Cayman. I am very disappointed with the performance of the GPS unit which: (1) regularly takes improper routes that include local roads instead of highways: (2) goes longer distances to reach my destination, often requiring me to make "U" turns; and, (3) insists on returning to an improper route instead of performing a recalculation, despite the fact that I've ignored its guidance and continued on the correct route. I've verified that the unit has its preference on"faster" rather that "shorter", but the fact is that the route calculated by the GPS is neither "faster" nor "shorter"; it is simply incorrect. I've been back to the installer, who is unable to find anything wrong with the unit or the installation. Considering the expense of this unit I'm very disappointed in its poor performance. 

• 2 weeks later...

The GPS and maps really leave a lot to be desired on these Pioneer units and I think many other posters here feel the same way.  I can't recall who they use as their supplier (I know we go through NavTeq, but I think they integrate Garmin or TomTom stuff, RonS may know the answer to that).  Hopefully Pioneer will do a better job with this year's unit.