AVIC411.com

Hey everyone.Today i FINALLY got a chance to upgrade my AVH to an Avic z140BH. At first i tried to simply hook it up to the same power cord that I used for the AVH because it was already connected and fit the avic perfectly. For some reason I got a visual of the screen and was able to play with the functions but wasn't getting sound. so then I went through all the wires on the harness one by one and connected them to the new power cord. I hooked up my amps through the audio output cables and I heard music! here's my problem. After i heard the music,  i went ahead and hooked up the gps antenna, ipod cord, and mic. I did my best to make all the wires look neat and then I put the radio back in place and left the car. When I came back and started the car i had no audio and no visual! i keep messing with it. I've re-wired it over and over, and i still cant seem to get anywhere. I checked my fuses, and one popped but i replaced it and still got nothing. Anybody else have this type of issue? working on a 97 lexus es300

The blown fuse is a bad sign. You shorted something putting it all together. Hope you didn't fry something.  Did you also check the fuse on the back of the AVIC? BTW, I always disconnect the battery when I'm messing around with dash wiring. Too many live wires in there.  

When you say "no visual", I assume you mean you see nothing on the screen and the unit is not booting.

Other idea: remove the power harness and with a voltmeter, make sure the red and yellow wire's pins are +12v (or more) with the ignition on. Then test the ground pin for continuity with some other grounded metal. If those check out, reconnect the power harness.  If the HU still doesn't boot up (splash screen), your HU is toast.  wouldn't be worrying about sound until you get past this.

RonS Thank you so much for your help. oddly enough when i tested the harness everything checked out and YES i did check the fuse in the HU as well as the TWO radio fuses in my car. after replacing the blown one they all seemed to be fine but i was still struggling to get power. Eventually I brought it to someone who VERY quickly showed me the problem. When i hooked up the power harness to the radio harness I followed the install guide, however that was what got me in trouble. I hooked the blue to blue, red to red, yellow to yellow etc. the problem was that the yellow wire from the power harness should have been hooked up to the red one from the vehicles harness and the yellow one from the vehicles harness should have just been taped off. It seemed odd that that was the solution but IT WORKS now and I'm still not sure why. Anyways, i also hooked up the reverse signal to the light/camera and a parking break bypass. everything seems to work fine. I do have a few new questions though;

1)I did not hook up the pink speed sensor wire. what exactly should that be attached to?

2)I also did not hook up the illumination wire because i wasnt sure what the best place to hook that up to was either.

3)With that illumination wire is there really a big difference because when i toggle between day/night views on the nav, it doesnt change colors anyways. 

4)Lastly I just wanted to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong...I bought this head unit with high expectations because I thought that the user interface for the navi actually looked like all the pictures that were being advertised online and on the box. is that not the case or am I just not understanding how to get the navi to show things like 3D buildings? Because it definitely does NOT look like that in the 3D mode

1)I did not hook up the pink speed sensor wire. what exactly should that be attached to?

2)I also did not hook up the illumination wire because i wasnt sure what the best place to hook that up to was either.

3)With that illumination wire is there really a big difference because when i toggle between day/night views on the nav, it doesnt change colors anyways. 

4)Lastly I just wanted to see if maybe I'm doing something wrong...I bought this head unit with high expectations because I thought that the user interface for the navi actually looked like all the pictures that were being advertised online and on the box. is that not the case or am I just not understanding how to get the navi to show things like 3D buildings? Because it definitely does NOT look like that in the 3D mode

1. VSS is very vehicle specific. It should be tapped into a circuit that pulses as the wheel rotates. The AVIC will eventually figure out how far the vehicle travels per pulse. Speedo or ABS controlers are usually used. Maybe Lexus web site car give you info. However VSS is optional - many people don't use it. It will improve NAV accuracy when you don't have GPS locked-on. 

3. Illumination is very handy. I tapped onto my tail-light wire. Heallight is also good. Only problem is if you have Daytime running lights enabled, it will always be in night mode.

4. 3D works but only for specific locations. I only have a few in my city. The baseball staduim shows up in 3D.  And a few landmark buildings. In some larger cities, there may be a lot.

ok so i might just decide not to bother with the VSS. it might be a bit to much for me. as for the illumination, when i switch (from daytime to night time) manually there is no difference. so i wasn't even sure if it was worth the time but ill give it a try. ill probably just run it all the way to the back the same way i did the reverse signal. that was fairly simple! as for the 3D, that REALLY sucks because  that was a huge reason for my purchase. now it just looks like any other gps...which is no fun. lol. you seem very knowledgeable, would you happen to know if there is or will be some sort of firmware upgrade that will enhance the look of it anytime soon?

There are 2 kinds of 3D. One is what I was talking about - buildings showing up as if they were drawn in 3D. The is also a 3D plotting mode (which you need to be in inorder to see any 3D buidings). The maps have 2-D and 3-D modes. Here is 3-D mode:

3D

You see the horizon and it gives w more natural (birds-eye) perspective.

If you don't see any difference between night and day mode, you've got some setting wrong. At least the night colors are inverted (dark sky). Also the display brightness will dim in night mode.

AFA updates, I have no inside info. New maps tend to be released in the summer - sometimes new features are added, sometimes features are deleted (like Z110 - Z130 had VR NAV guidance but it went away with the CNSD310FM upgrade).