AVIC411.com

With today's announcement of iOS 7 and its in-car features, what do you guys think is the likelihood of that mode working on AppRadio 2 or 3?  It seems like all it needs is a firmware update on the AppRadio side of things to send the flag that it's a car head unit to launch into car mode.

Anyone with a developer account and a beta of iOS 7 want to give it a try?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly isn't going to work on iOS7 release. And it's not going to be available for OEM use for car manufactures until 2014. Regardless if Pioneer doesn't sign on you won't see it on Pio units. It would certainly be awesome especially sense Pioneer would have to maintain a level of excellence they never have before for Apple to approve of their support. That alone concerns me that we will never see it. And the fact that it would render Pioner's App Radio app useless and something tells me they are too proud of their idea of what works to ever let go of it for an Apple solution that really does work. We'll just have to wait and see. I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe someone will come up with a way to force that "in the car" mode when using an AppRadio enabled unit. That would require the iDevice to be jailbroken, so it could take months since iOS 7 is released... 

But I don't think Pioneer will upgrade their systems to make them compatible with this new feature, at least not soon (they will probably do it when another company integrate it on their devices). Anyway, iOS in the car only integrates its own apps (phone, maps, messages...), not third-party ones. I think there is room for both AppRadio and iOS in the car in the same headunit (iOS in the car for basic features such as voice control or telephone and AppRadio for advanced apps). 

From what I was getting from the demo of In The Car it appears allows control of apps from the car's screen just as App Radio does. If that is the case app developers are more likely to support it over App Radio. At that point Pioneer would have to conform if they want that feature. I can see most AR app developers dropping AR support quickly for a better solution that actually works well as it would from Apple. Also I suspect the In The Car API includes software and hardware. Software for the phone and control interface from the head unit and hardware to decode the signal in the same way the Apple Digital AV adapter works. OEMs aren't going to require the adapter for cars. It will be built in. Apple may allow aftermarket companies like Pioneer to get away with using that adapter but I doubt it. If that is the case nothing available now or that has been announced will work which means 2014 or 2015 before we see anything from Pioneer. That is, once again if they decide to sign on with Apple which means Apple would have to have approval of what Pioneer develops. Now I don't know what goes into development of this kind of stuff but if it requires actually "programing talent" from Pioneer to get a solution that Apple approves of you can pretty much count the whole thing off from Pioneer based on their track record with untalented software programing. Apple would never approve of a company using one of their standards in the piss poor way Pioneer has a reputation for. Again, I hope Im wrong sense In The Car basically does what AR does but should actually work in a logical manner. 

Pioneer has a chance. They do currently support Siri Eyes free on the AppRadio 3. I believe Apple recognizes that people don't buy new cars just to use new iPhone features (except those with more money than sense) and with that I know they will work with the aftermarket. 

As far as apps it remains to be seen if apple supports any third party apps at all with this car feature. Currently it looks very iOS 1with only apple supported features built in. Just like Siri before it. Mind you the interface is gorgeous so I wouldn't care if that was how it ended up. 

Apple doesn't have to support the app. They license the API to developers that want to integrate the tech into their app. At least thats the way it appears to me but I could be wrong. And I don't think Apple has any intention or desire to cater to the aftermarket. Way more cars are sold across multiple manufactures then aftermarkets sell head units. Aftermarket head units sales are a niche and Apple has no interest in niche markets that get a very small fraction of the OEM market. If Pioneer ends up with In The Car tech its because they purchase the API from Apple. Again I could be all wrong here and the fact the Pio does now have Siri Eyes Free is promising.

If the APIs are in the new SDK to support an Apple approved car mode then yes we will have apps in our car the apple way. If this is the case pioneer and the rest of them better pray that apple is kind and allows them to upgrade their headunits, because appradio and all of its competitors that use iPhones died today. Good luck getting a single new app when there is a first party way to do it that is far more robust in its offering and install base. 

I have no doubt that Apple will allow the API to be used for aftermarket products but my fear is that Pioneer in their clueless arrogance feels their solution is "good enough" or better then what Apple showed off today. Or they wont be able to integrate it without serious bug issues like everything else they attempt. If any of these end up being the case you wont see it from Pio.

you dont need to reg your UDID. There are plenty of other discussions floating around the interweb about how to do it..but pretty much hold alt/option (mac) and click update in iTunes and then double click on the downloaded beta ios 7 for your specific device....DO NOT click restore. it WILL lock your device. To revert back make sure you have 6.1.3 (6.1.4 for iphone 5), put your device into DFU mode and alt/option (on mac) restore and click the firmware. done