AVIC411.com

Hello, just installed the x5500 2 weeks ago and love it so far. Got mostly everything working, but still waiting on iphone 4s/iu201s to try out appmode( mainly for GPS capabilities). In the meantime I was wanting to put some videos from youtube on USB to listen and 'glance' while I drive, but every format I try the unit will not play.

I've tried mp4/mpeg-2/avi and from what i understand this unit does not support the h.264 standard. Anyone run into this or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I had a X940BT and then went with a X950BH with my newer car and found that some of the videos that played in the 940 did not play in the 950 but then later on they would? I called Pioneer and they were not much help so I used the templates from the site here and made various copies of the same video with different settings until I got one that worked well. I made notes of each video and put them into their own sub directory on a thumb drive and noted what Handbrake settings worked finally. The 950 was a bit different than the 940 and I would guess you will have to do the same. The items I changed were:

Picture Settings affected were:

- Resolution, height x width was the most critical it seemed

- Anamorphic setting

- Modulus setting

- Container was MP4

Video Settings affected were:

- Codec, I used MPEG-4

- Frame Rate

- Constant frame rate

- Avg bit rate and 2 pass encoding

Once I found which settings worked I saved them into a named set of settings in Handbrake so I could use them over any time. Surprisingly some videos still do not play and some that used to in MKV format play when I don't thing they should??????

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I finally figured this out (well, not by my experimentation but by way of YouTube). The best thing I believe to do for all units would be to convert all videos to the .divx format that, so far, is 100 percent compatible with the 50 or so videos that I have done. As long as you select either the home theater profile (usually the best option) or the hd 1080p profile (larger file size, resolution) the video will playback perfectly. 

For anybody having this problem, you will need to download the divx converter package from divx[dot]com and as stated earlier select either home theater or hd 1080p.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks!

I'm on an AVH-x8500BT (europe version) and my problem was the resolution which cannot exceed 1280x720 and 8000kpbs bitrate.

I'm currently playing all my videos in MP4 H.264 with the aspects mentioned above.

The X5500bhs should be H.264 compatible aswell.

Im converting the videos with aimersoft video converter, keep everything the same as the source except the resolution (max 1280x720) and bitrate (max.8000) and i should work like a charm!

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If there are any Mac users out there, iFFMPEG (http://www.iffmpeg.com) works pretty well.

Select Containers->AVI then under settings change the video codec to 'XVID'. Also change the resolution to 720x480 and the resulting video's seem to play fine. I was never able to get H264 MP4 files to load, but converting to XVID seems to work just fine (but slowly!)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...