AVIC411.com

HOW TO: Retrieve your AVIC-X850BT's forgotten password .

Just in case anyone else forgot their password for their X850BT, here's how I got a hold of mine. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, some disclaimers:

If you stole your unit, please give it back, save money, and buy your own! 

Otherwise, this is my: RUN TESTMODE AT YOUR OWN RISK statement!

I searched this forum and Google'd like crazy, and there, to my knowledge, is no other documented method for retrieving the AVIC-X850BT's password specifically, sorry if this is a repost. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I figured it out is as follows:

[FYI: I POSTED THE LINKS TO EACH THREAD I RESEARCHED BUT PROVIDED THE LINKS IN THIS HOW-TO SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BROWSE AWAY FROM THIS PAGE!  :eek:  ]

STEP 1: Get the right Testmode file.

I went here:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/36681-avic-x50-hack-general-topic/?p=266663

and downloaded the link (testmode-x50v2.zip) pionara posted here:

nag screen removal will come later, first we must get testmode working !

ok this is attempt 3: attachicon.giftestmode-x50v2.zip

also, wondering if the hidden, in-app debug/service menus work on x50 series. Can someone try it out?

advanced topic: hidden debug menus

STEP 2: Get a functional testmode base.

1.   I visited this thread:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/31534-condis-hackmode-v14-diskrw-gpsgate-textfiller-regeditor-with-reg-files-associated-updated-13062011/

2.   and downloaded the following link:

zip.gif  Condi's HACKMODE v1.4 BASE - INSTALL VIA TESTMODE.zip   5.32MB   6140 downloads

STEP 3: Extract the files onto the proper medium IN THE RIGHT ORDER.

1. I took the "Condi's HACKMODE v1.4 BASE - INSTALL VIA TESTMODE.zip" and extracted ALL of it's contents to a BLANK miniSD card.

2. I extracted the contents of testmode-x50v2.zip onto the miniSD card and OVERWROTE the existing testmode.key file.

STEP 4: Startup in TESTMODE and access the right file.

PATH:NAND\SYSTEM\SECURITY\SECURITY.DAT

1. I then removed the miniSD card from the computer and placed it into the AVIC-X850BT.

2.  I turned the vehicle in to ACC Mode/Started vehicle.

3.  The unit then successfully booted into testmode.

4.  I used the volume keys to navigate the menu and selected the File Maintenance option. 

5.  I used the volume keys to navigate to the FIRST NAND folder (it's after the HDD folders).

6.  I then navigated to the SYSTEM folder.

7.  In the folder is a SECURITY folder, select it.

8.  There should be several files in the SECURITY folder, among which is the SECURITY.DAT file, select it.

9.  Navigate to and press the appropriate key to "[TXT DUMP]" the file.

STEP 5:  Accessing your forgotten password.

1. Following the  "[TXT DUMP]" of the SECURITY.DAT file, the top left corner of the screen will supply you with 3 things: YOUR forgotten password, your password HINT, and a buncha shenanigans.

2.  I recommend taking and picture of that screen with your smartphone or other mobile device and then turning off your vehicle.

3.  REMOVE THE miniSD card!

4.  Turn your vehicle to ACC or turn it on.

5.  After your AVIC-X850BT boots, try to use the picture to interpret and input your password.

Hope this helps someone! I drive around for two weeks, getting mad every time I so much as LOOKED at my radio lol.

GOOD LUCK!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've just purchased an AVIC-X850BT and I'm  having the same issue as the password is not being recognized. I've opened the SECURITY.DAT file and see on the first line the password. i think

MY PASSWORD space ked space my password ek my password. is this correct? Is there another way to get this going? I'm frustrated because Pioneer are asking to return the unit. I really don't want to get this unit out of my car ship it and then wait 2 weeks to get it back. There has to be a way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey I am new to this website and far from being computer savvy.  I follow the instructions on how to obtain password for x850bt and for some reason the first time I put the SD card into my stereo it said it cannot access test mode.  So I started all over and when I inserted the SD card it would not read it at all.  Can anyone help me with this.  Damn sure don't want to pull the stereo out send it to Pioneer and pay $80 for something that will prob take them 5 minutes to fix.  I would appreciate any help I can get.

The test mode key above worked great on the AVIC-X850BT unit. I was able to retrieve the password.  I will however say, you only need to download testmode-x50v2.zip on a miniSD card and follow steps 4 and 5.  Thanks for the post, saved me money and time since Pioneer wants you to take out the whole unit out, send to them with $80 for them to reset password, then send it back for you to reinstall.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my car battery and forgot the password to my avic-x850bt -totally forgot that I had set one and of course didn't remember. I spent a couple of days thinking about taking the unit out and sending it to the pioneer factory for service which I dreaded doing so I searched online an found this forum -thank goodness!! Downloaded the files and followed the instructions and was able to retrieve my password. Thanks, you guys ROCK!!! You saved me money and precious time. Now I can continue to listen to my music on my 2 hour commute to work much appreciated!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...