AVIC411.com

In hopes of saving some fellow Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS customers headaches, I signed up for AVIC to post a solution for getting App Mode to work on this unit with the iPhone.  I'm referring to "App Mode" here, not Advanced App Mode.  For a back story, what I wanted to do was play Netflix on the head unit and have it display in the two headrests monitors I have on the back seats.  The installers and even Pioneer themselves said this would not work as Netflix will only play in Advanced App Mode, and Advanced App Mode will not do Video out.  However, I figured it out.

Solution:

1. Go into settings of Head Unit and change the RGB Setting to: NAVI
  2. Exit back to main screen.
  3. Plug in iPhone using the Pioneer CDIU201S cable.
  4. Then you should see the "App Mode" icon on the lower right of screen; press that and you are in App Mode.
  5. Start Netflix, YouTube, Waze, or any other app that has video output that you want to show on the head unit screen.
  6. Go back into Settings of Head Unit to the RGB setting and change back to iPhone, and you should then see Netflix, Waze, YouTube videos, etc...
  7. And what you see there will be outputted via Video Out and show on external monitors.

Again, I know by simply pressing "Advanced App Mode" it will show Netflix, but as mentioned, the Video Out from the back of the head unit does not work in Advanced App Mode.  This is the only way to get the video to show on an external monitor.

Hope this helps solve some problems.