AVIC411.com

How much voltage to launch back-up camera?

Anyone know how much voltage is req'd from the reverse trigger wire for the HU to switch to back-up camera? Mine's a Z130BT

When I shift to reverse, I'm only getting a 5.7V signal on this trigger. It doesn't bring up the camera on screen.

The camera is working, I've switched polarity in the settings and it comes on screen (all the time). It just won't launch via the trigger wire...?

If you are trying to get voltage from tail light to power backup camera then it's not ideal solution as different vehicles have different voltages based on tail lights.

Better aproach is to run dedicated cable from switched +12v and negative to power backup camera.

Then run another cable that you can connect with tail light or reverse cable to trigger headunit to recognise and switch on reverse mode.

One another advantage of this approach is you can have your camera always running with car and put your unit in reverse mode to see people behind you.

Cable to I used to run all this....Ethernet cat 6. It got 4 pairs, so in single run from back to front, i got all cables i need for my job and it's easier and cleaner.

Hope it helps you... 

What are you using to "trigger" the camera?

12 volts it the standard voltage in cars if you're not using something that comes off of a computer. Your taillamps or back up lamps, even if they're factory LED, should have a 12 volt source running to them.

You can run a separate 12 volt switched source as the previous poster suggested but there should already be one in the trunk. Your backup lamps should be the perfect place to tap. You do want to have a switched source (comes on only when the key is in "ACC" or "RUN")  particularly if your car is prone to long periods of inactivity. These cameras don't draw much current, but there is a draw nonetheless.