AVIC411.com

pioneer x940bt back up camera issue

Hey gang, i installed a back up camera in my x940bt (subaru sti stock). All the wiring and connections are good HOWEVER, the camera ONLY goes on during 'startup' or right when i turn the ignition on...its a blank screen (the splash screen doesn't come on) and when i go into the reverse the camera feed shows..anyways, after startup..and i press 'ok' and 'mode' the unit to normal display (audio visual map etc) the camera will no longer come on when i put the car in reverse, or won't come on at all..unless i turn off the car and start again for which it shows camera for startup only... whats the deal? any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I had a couple of funny things when I first installed mine and it was related to how I connected it. Several questions: first is it wired or wireless? If wireless try connecting it with a wire. Second, did you connect it so the camera is powered on when the reverse lights come on? If so, does the camera have its own ground and not the backup light wires? I did mine across the backup light wires and it would not work, it needs power and own ground. Last, did you use one of the bypass hookups? That might be getting the head unit confused if not done correctly?

Since it comes on when you turn the key on or start the car, sounds like the camera is not wired to the correct wire to be, but check to see the colors.

thanks for the response, its a wired camera with built in reverse lamps..so there are 2 wires for the reverse lamps which i wired right up to the old reverse lamp i replaced, so those lights work just fine, the video cable is connected to the BROWN out that said rear camera..so i think thats good, and as for the power to the camera is hooked up to the brown/yellow wire at the back reverse light and i have grounded it to a separate ground..so that sounds good as well, BUT i thought of something this morning, there is apparently a violent/white wire for 'reverse gear' in the pioneer harness, and i dont' know if that connected..so i'm gonna go back an check that , if not i'll connect that to the brown/yellow as well to tell the deck that the car is in reverse, and i think that might be something i overlooked.. and yes i did the hand brake bypass which i love so i hope thats not interferring..i'll update this thread as soon as i do the reverse gear confirmation...

• 3 weeks later...

I had this issue and ended up having to bring my truck to a shop to figure out what i was missing as the guy spent almost an entire day working on it since he did not know how to get it to work i do have an answer for you. there is an aditional power / activation wire that needs to be run to (not sure if its the same on all vehicles) a module above the pedals in your car (its a green wire in a plug). you will have to look up the wiring diagram for your vehicle.

Also if you are running off your reverse light you need up change the fuse in the pdc from the 5amp to a 10amp or youll blow it and loose the lights to that side of the rear of your vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...

figuring out a camera problem:

if the radio is not switching to the camera screen, then it is either a problem with the AVIC itself, or a problem with the reverse connection *1

if the avic is switching but there is no image, just a black screen, then the problem is with the camera (the video input could also go bad, but that is a lot less likely) *2

*1 take the radio out, unhook the reverse wire, then try to manually ground the wire or manually give it 12v+ and see if it triggers then, if that gets it to work, then you need to change something about how or where its connected to. if it still doesn't trigger, then you have a problem with the AVIC, you can try to reload the software to see if that fixes the bug, or you can send it in to pioneer and have them fix it.

*2 , try using the camera with it hooked directly to another power source like the cig socket or directly to the battery, try another camera.