AVIC411.com

Help please! X920BT lost functions upon recovery of bricked unit

Hi all!

I have been lurking around these forums for the last few months. Not until yesterday did I make an account so I could get some help...... After reading everything I can regarding the X920BT I am finding myself confused. I do not want to brick my unit again and I do not have my unit backed up as of yet. Below is a quick overview of what happen along with some of the issues I am having as well as questions on things I am confused on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will start with how this happen. About 6 months ago I went to Pioneer's website and ordered a firmware update package. Pioneer sent me a micro SD card with the file on it. I followed the instructions and loaded the firmware. Upon completion I restarted the unit. This was where the problems began. I suddenly got a fuzzy screen upon booting the system which was followed by a screen full of black and white lines running horizontally across the screen. At this point the unit was dead to me with no response to anything I seemed to try. On occasion the unit would start up and get stuck on the splash screen but it would not respond to any commands given. This was when I started reading and reading and reading until my eyes were bleeding. After finding out that others had the same problem it was determined the system was fed a corrupt firmware file and would most likely require being sent back to Pioneer. As much as I hated the idea I went ahead and got it packed up and ready. It may be good to mention that I have been in the 12V business working for multiple professional shops since 1996 and hold a MECP Advanced certification. This gave me the ability to be closer to manufacture reps as well as what I believed would benefit me in getting the work complete with no hassle. I was WRONG!!!........ Pioneer could give two squats about who I knew, what I have done or where I worked. They told me they would not warranty the unit due to its age regardless of the fact the corrupt firmware came from them. So back to square one again.......

Last night I decided to say screw this and dig some more on info. I found a pile of really good threads regarding hacks and mods some of the members have been working on. One of the threads I found was Condi's Hack Mode which had a good list of information and directed me through some of the other issues people have had and/or advanced abilities of the unit. What I found was that I had no idea what I was doing........... Suck to admit but it is what it is.........  So I figured I would break down and ask with hope that others here could help walk me through the processes I need to complete.

Lets start with where the unit is currently sitting regarding its status......... As of right now I have the unit recovered and for the most part working as expected. BUT I lost my CD/DVD function as the unit will draw the CD/DVD in but immediately will try and spit it out. It bounces back in forth pushing and pulling the CD in and out of the slot for a few seconds....... Only thing I can come up with is that its again not working with all the files needed or it has a corrupt firmware. Problem is, I do not know how to 1. backup my current info and 2. what file and how to update the unit. I am currently running the following:

Platform Version 2.000

App Version 2.003

Version 02.0000

BT Firmware 3.11

Mecha Version 01.03.01.00

I just want to update so I can have full function of my unit again. It would also be great to update the maps if possible.

Here is what I need step by step instructions on if anybody is willing to help.

1. Locate all update files needed to fix this unit.

2. Instruction on how to backup whatever is needed prior to update.

3. Instruction on how to update firmware properly

4. Update or upgrade to any advanced programs you think I should go for. Such as upgrading to X930BT-X940BT firmware. (Only IF its something that is worth doing)

I was pleased with the unit prior to it being rendered useless with exception of the navigation map being out of date, so upgrading is not particularly necessary beyond the Nav Maps.

If there is any further information required from me please let me know. I will be glad to give whatever info is needed to get this accomplished.

Thank you in advance!

Chris McNair

You can download the update files from here:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/35601-cnsd-310fm-eu-2012-update/page-1

That update will likely fix your brick and update your firmware all at the same time.

To Backup.

Put this TESTMODE.KEY file on a FAT32 Formatted sd card..

http://avic411.com/i...attach_id=15233

• instert SD to your AVIC, Pioneer Service Mode will appear,       
  • move down and enter FILE MAINTENANCE,
  • go to USER, select COPY on the menu,
  • move up, and go to SD,
  • select PASTE on the menu,
  • once it finish - BACKUP IS DONE.
  • Now repeat for the NDATA Folder
  • now hold EJECT button for 5s to get to sd card, take it and connect to pc,
  • copy USER and NDATA directories somewhere safe on your computer and delete it from SD,

Then Follow the steps in the update thread i linked to above and you should come out the other end, updated and fixed. :-D

Oh and HowTo backup Pioneer UI - youtube

! is always a handy one to watch to learn how to navigate the service mode.