AVIC411.com

Z130BT with iPhone 5 Freezes on Odd Numbered Podcasts from TechGuy

So this problem started on podcast number 917 and has continued on every odd numbered podcast that I have listened to through 933. What happens is that it will begin to play for about 2-3 seconds, the meta data will not show up on the screen and the Z130BT with firmware upgrade to Z140BT will freeze. Nothing will work, not physical buttons, screen, or steering wheel controls. Disconnecting the iPhone will restore the functionality. Then I must manually delete that podcast from my iPhone 5 so the Z130 can't find that podcast and will either play the next one, or pick its favorite song from Van Halen.

I have yet to experiment with changing the number to even - I doubt that works, or downloading the podcast from a separate source than iCrapTunes and trying bluetooth.

Specs:

Z130BT ---> Z140BT

iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.4

Pioneer stock cable

Apple Lightning to 30 Pin cable adapter

I've been stepping through a bunch of troubleshooting steps to find the issue.

Things I've done:

I downloaded episode 933 directly from the Tech Guy website. The hoops I had to jump through to get it on my iPhone have convinced me to go with an Android next time around. I had to shut off iTunes Match before it would let me sync this onto my iPhone. It would not see it as a podcast, and could not match it, so it refused to included it from playlists, albums etc.

But, in the end that also locked up the Z130.

I changed the Tag info with Mp3Tag, and that also locked up.

I re-encoded using Adobe Audition without changing anything, keeping all meta data. That too crashed the Z130.

I then re-encoded with Audition and excluded the meta data, that one worked. No freezing, but then also no data on the screen.

Next I must compare and even vs odd numbered shows and see what is the difference.

Any suggestions for a program on looking at the meta data? Will Mp3Tag do this?

Before I do that I am going to use iTunes to manually add back the info and album art and see if that works.

Ok, I resolved this issue. They use different album artwork on Saturday vs Sunday. Copying any Sunday artwork over to the Saturday podcast fixes it. I also noticed the encoding on Saturday says "multi transcode internet go" and Sunday is iTunes V7. I thought this was the issue until I re-encoded a crashing podcast and copied an artwork to it from a Saturday show using iTunes. It crashed, and that's when I noticed the different artwork. Now I will have to fix them every time I sync - but that's better than the freezing Z130BT.

Now who to blame:

Pioneer or Leo Laporte's Tech Guy (artwork and/or encoder), or Apple ---> especially Steve Jobs!!!!