AVIC411.com

The quick answer is, of course.

The long answer is: what do you mean?

If you're looking at hooking up an SSD drive through USB then it shouldn't have any problems, as long as the USB port can deliver enough power to power your SSD in a case.

Well, my thinking is an SSD drives doesn't require as much power as your normal USB drive since A) they don't have that initial power requirement to spin up the drive and B) they don't require as much power since there are no moving parts.  I'll buy an SSD drive and report back later today.

Nope, my Kingston SSD 256GB drive did not work.  In Windows 7, I only had two options for formatting the drive, NTFS and exFAT.  As I typed this, I just thought of this...  if I partitioned it, then It might let me format it using FAT32.  Staples sells a 128GB SSD so maybe I'll return this and get two 128GB instead.

Stay tuned...

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this?  I have AVH8500, and a 2.5" 7200rpm 750gb Seagate Momentius I used to use in a Macbook pro.  I formatted as FAT32.  I used the MixTraxx app on my MAC to load in my iTunes library, and it took a couple days but it fully analyzed all 33k+ songs.  I then synchronized the full library to my hard drive.  

Excited to connect to my AVH8500 and nothing showed up.  I am using an extension cable from the back of the unit into the glove box.  When installed at Best Buy they connected an iPod and it was able to see and play just fine.  So I think the cable is fine, but I am pondering if I had far to lofty expectations of this configuration.  

MixTraxx for Mac seems to be really a beast.  It is quite sluggish and often goes through long patches of a spinning beach ball. I am on an i7 3.4ghz quad core 27" iMac with 24GB of RAM and 2GB of Video RAM.  If it can handle music production applications, it can sure handle MixTraxx just fine.  I suspect this app / setup just isnt ready for prime time and/or has limitations in scale for larger libraries. 

Anyone else have issues or methods to handle this scenario?  

• 2 months later...