AVIC411.com

ARG! Is my reciever dead?

So, this morning, at the start of an epic, 3000km road trip with my family (including 2 young kids), my AVH-X8500BHS decided that we didn't need sound.

It seems that the internal amp (just connected directly to my stock speakers) isn't on; even when I turn the stereo all the way up I don't hear a hiss. We fiddled with it a bit on our way to the stereo shop and I tried the reset in the manual (ignition off, press the reset button). It worked! The unit came back to life.

Then it died again 150km down the road. Now no matter how many times I reset it I can't sound to work. The only thing that does happen at the power up after a reset is a POP from the rear speakers.

It also seems that I now can't access the Picture Settings to adjust the brightness of the screen.

My questions:

Are these two issues related?

Any suggestions to fix either/both?

Anyone else had either of these issues?

I'll be emailing my stereo shop tomorrow, unfortunately they are a local shop and therefore have no offices anywhere where I'm going so I'll probably have to wait until I get home to get it taken care of.

• 4 weeks later...

yes that is a common symptom of the radio going into protect mode from a shorted out speaker, some brands will inform you if the radio gets a shorted speaker, but unfortunately pioneer does not, especially when you hear a pop through one of the speakers (a lot of times the speaker that is shorted will be the one that pops)

glad you got it fixed!