AVIC411.com

M3 install pics

Nice Install, looks factory. Those BMW Radio's are a pain.

Do you like the SMG? It's the same thing as tiptronic right? You have to shift or is it "automatic"? I have allways driven manual cars (except for SUV's and what not) so I don't know what I would do without a clutch. :oops:
Is that Rich's kit? I have his 7" kit...thinking of throwing it in my ///M too...haven't pulled the trigger yet. Really don't want to hack the vents up but it would be freakin' sweet. I'm thinking about trying to stick the XM and GPS antennas in the grill on the hood.
[quote name="JasonH"]Nice Install, looks factory. Those BMW Radio's are a pain.

Do you like the SMG? It's the same thing as tiptronic right? You have to shift or is it "automatic"? I have allways driven manual cars (except for SUV's and what not) so I don't know what I would do without a clutch. :oops:[/quote]

It is not tiptronic. It is a hydraulic clutch that goes in and out, except I don't actually push in a clutch. It is the same gearbox as in a farrari.
[quote name="edrock200"]Is that Rich's kit? I have his 7" kit...thinking of throwing it in my ///M too...haven't pulled the trigger yet. Really don't want to hack the vents up but it would be freakin' sweet. I'm thinking about trying to stick the XM and GPS antennas in the grill on the hood.[/quote]

It is Rich's bezel. Doing the vent mod was easy, takes about 1/2 hour and does not actually mess with the vents, or airflow at all. You are just exposing the heating element. I covered it with dynomat. I have my gps antennas under the grill under the fron hood. Great reception!
Steve
[quote name="edrock200"]Sweet, are you a member of e46fanatics? I have the same SN there. Did you stick your sat radio antenna in the grill too? Does it work well?
-Ed[/quote]

Yep I am a member at e46fanatics as well as m3forum. I did put both the gps and sirius antenna in the hood vent near the windshield. The reception for both is great!
[quote name="torresmd"] [quote name="edrock200"]Sweet, are you a member of e46fanatics? I have the same SN there. Did you stick your sat radio antenna in the grill too? Does it work well?
-Ed[/quote]

Yep I am a member at e46fanatics as well as m3forum. I did put both the gps and sirius antenna in the hood vent near the windshield. The reception for both is great![/quote]

damn...so tempted to do it now...I've been reading around about the vent mod and some people said you don't have to cut anything, just heat and bend.
[quote name="torresmd"] [quote name="JasonH"]Nice Install, looks factory. Those BMW Radio's are a pain.

Do you like the SMG? It's the same thing as tiptronic right? You have to shift or is it "automatic"? I have allways driven manual cars (except for SUV's and what not) so I don't know what I would do without a clutch. :oops:[/quote]

It is not tiptronic. It is a hydraulic clutch that goes in and out, except I don't actually push in a clutch. It is the same gearbox as in a farrari.[/quote]

Ahh, nice. I'll have to try one of those sometime.
Here are some more pics of the car. I am constantly modifying the car, an illness! I have been trying to make a custom background for my Z1, but just cannot seem to do it right. I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me or make one for me. I would like the BMW logo and maybe say Steve's Ultimate Driving Machine underneath the logo. Also open to any other suggestions. Please help a computer illiterate.
Thanks