AVIC411.com

So I have an old 3rd gen iPod touch. I jailbroke it today. Installed activator and resupported to enable video out over component. I set my appradio to use the 30 pin connectors again and I tethered it to my phone. Here are my findings. 

If you tell activator to lock the ipod and turn on airplane mode when the power cuts out it can stay on for over a week without power. 

Tell activator to open the appradio app and unlock the device when power is connected and you instantly bypass all but the first warning screen. 

sadly activator cannot tell the ipod to connect to my phone via bluetooth for tethering. That would limit the drain on my phone and would have made it so the system would require zero input from me to function. For now with my iPhone I need to have the settings open to tethering so the iPod connects via wifi.

All apps that work on iOS 5 that are appradio compatible work flawlessly on the unit that ive tested so far. 

iOS 5 is far more friendly to the AppRadio GPS. Waze and other GPS apps get an instant exact location. 

Because it is running iOS 5 AppRadio extensions non beta is useless because it isn't compatible with the new appradio app, and the betas require iOS 6 or greater. 

The interface is FAARR Smoother than my iPhone 5 because of the direct control via 30 pin instead of bluetooth control. 

I currently have no way of activating Pandora and hide the iPod completely from view. 

I overall love the setup. If anyone wants a video I did record a few of the setup in action. 

Edit: to any iPhone 3GS users. If you want to use appradio, downloading resupported will do the trick. 

Update: I have tested further. The original setup for my 5 remains intact. While in this setup appradio apps cannot function from my 5, a quick look at the appradio site will show you that the list of compatible apps is quite a bit smaller for iPhone 5 than 4/4s or in this case iPod. However because now whenever I connect my phone the AppRadio thinks it's connected to an android device, using my fake parking brake, I still can achieve full mirroring of my display without touch control. So as such whenever I feel like listening to music from an unsupported app like Rdio or using google maps I still can. And since I now have my iPod app back I can use mix mode to listen to music from the iPod and control it while using maps from the Google maps powered iPhone 5. I'm loving this setup more and more. 

Update 2: For those that hate reading, here is a video of the setup explaining what it does when and how it works. Enjoy. 

quicky recap.

I have an appradio 2

I am running this off of a 3rd Generation iPod touch. 

This setup should be compatible with any device that is AppRadio capable, including the original appradio. 

If you have an Android phone you can use this setup to increase your apps with appradio. An old iPod touch goes for pennies on ebay. 

While your setup doesn't apply to me so far it still gave me some insight on what to expect. 

I'm thinking of buying the AppRadio 3 and have a jailbroken iPhone 5.   I don't want a second iPod device (let alone tether something else) being part of my car experience.    

It sounds like I should expect the UI to be laggy un-smooth when using the iPhone 5 alone. ?  (bummer)

I just discovered this forum recently so still coming up to speed.

So far.........

It found I need to buy the parking break bypass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NQL00W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9UC26ZLPAXH1

I already have the HDMI lightening adapter and plenty of spare Lightning/USB cables.

So yeah once I setup the Jailbreak AppRadio Extensions, I'll want to figure out what works for me.    

I use iOS 6 google maps app more than anything else.  (jailbreak even has Siri commands re-route request direct to Google Maps)  When I hit an address in a contact it opens up via Google maps as well.  (I've dumped Apple Maps use all together via jailbreak tweeks) 

Waze is ok, I've played around with it a little bit but prefer the new stand alone Google Maps app lately.

• 3 weeks later...