AVIC411.com

Multiple HDMI inputs via auto-switch? (DashCam DVR & iPhone 5)

I'm thinking of buying the AppRadio 3.   I'm really impressed with the JailBreak add-on work here and I just happen to have a Jailbroken iPhone 5 ready to play.  This is as good as it gets.  I'll miss having HD Radio but don't use it as much as I used to anyway. (can live without it)

I have a question about using more than one HDMI input HDMI input idea

I've been researching DashCam DVR's and many have no built in screen but have mini HDMI outputs.   

http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/   (still researching to find the best one)

Say I wanted to view this HDMI signal on my AppRadio.   I'm assuming the AppRadio only has one HDMI input, and my primary use would be with the iPhone 5.

Could I add a HDMI switch to view the DashCam when I wanted to?

Example:

HDMI 3-In 1-Out HDMI Auto Switch with 1.5 ft. Cable by HDMI http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_JvTdsb1WS1PBH

I've used the above switch for a friends setup and it works great.  It's self powered via HDMI, and auto switches to the last signal it senses turned on.  (or you can press the button to cycle between)

Do you see any problems with this?   "should" it work or do you know of a technical limitation that would make me not even bother trying it?

Assuming this all works, could I even use a 3rd Android HDMI cable standing by for guests?   Since the HDMI switch has THREE inputs I could have #1-iPhone Lightning-HDMI, #2-DashCam DVR, #3-Android-Mini-Micro HDMI

Is this asking for too much :) haha

You would need the bypass that you mentioned in my post, but yes. Any HDMI video source will pass through once you have the bypass installed. Also if you want an HD radio equivalent download the iheart auto app. It will put iheart radio in your car and you can listen to any station you want in higher fidelity than regular radio. 

You would need the bypass that you mentioned in my post, but yes. Any HDMI video source will pass through once you have the bypass installed. Also if you want an HD radio equivalent download the iheart auto app. It will put iheart radio in your car and you can listen to any station you want in higher fidelity than regular radio. 

Thanks, I ran a simulation test using the HDMI 3-In 1-Out HDMI Auto Switch I linked to above.

I connected my Lightening HDMI converter to switch input #1

I connected my HTPC HDMI to switch input #2

I connected the HDMI switch output to my TV (simulating the AppRadio)

The switch worked perfectly!   (automatically switches to the last "active" source)    iPhone looked great especially with SBRotator landscape.

My phone should be the last thing I plug in.   Even if it's not, all I'd need to do is unplug/re-plug in the lightening cable and I'm on source #1 immediately. 

This means I can have my future DashCam DVR mini-HDMI output hooked up, my iPhone 5 hooked up, and a guest/android HDMI wire hooked up all at the same time!    For the #3 guest spot, I wonder if I could easily add a Headphone jack to HDMI audio converter.   I doubt I'd have the need to use it, but can't leave that #3 spot go to waste (just wondering though)     AppRadio has no Headphone jack in that I saw. (but who cars really)

The Chromecast idea is neat and all but I don't see why its necessary. I can already do most if not all of this with my iPhone alone.

I do things because they can be done not because they should me done. :-) pushing bleeding edge tech gets me off what can I say.