AVIC411.com

How to switch to avh-x8500bhs digital av

Like a lot of others, I had a hard time figuring out how to get the avh-x8500bhs to switch over to digital av for app mode. I did the whole unplug cables...turn bluetooth off...and turn source off. Nothing worked.

Then I searched on the internet and came across this site with people asking the same question and several answers. I finally got my unit to switch to digital av after unplugging all cables from the back of the unit. So I thought this is dumb..., but it worked.......I learned today that this is Not true. You do not need to unplug ANY wire from the back of the unit to switch digital av on or off.

These are the steps.....

Make sure the HDMI cable is'nt plugged into your apple adapter. (Can be kept plugged into unit)

Make sure nothing is plugged into the 2 usb's. ( Can keep usb extensions plugged into unit.., just not any apple cords)

Turn phone bluetooth off.

Turn source off on the avh-x8500bhs....

And here's where the problem was for me......You need to turn your ignition OFF to actually turn off your unit and then turn back on again. By hitting the source button the unit says off but it really is'nt, you need to completly kill the acc power to the unit and then turn back on. Then you can switch to digital av or back again.

What I just got done doing tonight is installing a switch for my acc power wire to the unit. So now I can switch the unit off and back on again if I want to switch back to analog to play music from my 3rd gen ipod without having to pull over and turn the truck off.

I'm Not using pioneers cable kit. Don't need it. I have a regular household hdmi cable, Apple lightning digital av adapter, and an apple lightning to usb cord....but am using Pioneers usb extension cables to get from back of the unit to my glovebox and another to my center consol.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion on how to get digital av switched as Pioneers instructions does not state how to clearly in the manual or on the unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, this really solved the issue I had trying to get Digital AV on. For my car, when I turn ignition on, the power to the radio unit is still on, so I have to do more than just turning the ignition off.

I found one other tip - the avh-x8500bhs has a reset button you can press with a pen. Same as doing a hard switch to the power.