AVIC411.com

Which Should I Buy: Appradio 2 or Appradio 3

Recently decided to finally take the plunge and update the Bose head unit in my 99 Camaro (1.5DIN to DoubleDin) and I'm wondering if anybody here can offer some info about the Appradio units.

What I am basically after is:

- The ability to play mp3's (that I hope to be able to transfer and store on the Appradio unit).

- Utilize Google Maps as my navigation software on the Appradio screen even if my phone is not connected/available.

- Connect a ODBII Bluetooth Adapter to the unit and utilize Torque.

- Connect a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx to the Appradio and be able to Send/Receive calls hands free.

- Use Dragon Speaking App (Siri Clone) to make calls and send text messages hands free (when my phone is connected).

- Use custom background screens to match my car/mood/theme when I want.

- Animated backgrounds would be cool but not required.

I have already decided to give one of the Appradio's a try but don't know if there is a reason to spend the extra cash (about $70) to get Appradio 3 over Appradio 2. Don't have an iPhone but may in the future. Don't think I need cd/dvd so that saves me about $100.

Now, I'm sure there are plenty of other features with either of the units but as long as my basic list is covered then everything else would simply be a bonus.

I apologize if these are silly questions but I just discovered Appradio while researching and I'm excited to get one ordered and give it a try. Just don't want to make an expensive mistake so any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated from anybody willing to take the time to share it.

Thanks!

Parrot asteroid smart looks interesting especially if you're an android guy.   I'm all about iPhone though and using Exentions to get the virtual iPad thing going on :)  (complete multi touch iOS integration of my iPhone 5)  

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/34188-appradio-extensions-20-beta-full-iphone-control/

You can't do much unless you have a smart phone hooked up.  The whole idea of AppRadio is it's an extension of your Smart Phone.

(not a stand alone device)

- The ability to play mp3's (that I hope to be able to transfer and store on the Appradio unit).

You'll only be able to play MP3's off a burned CD or DVD

- Utilize Google Maps as my navigation software on the Appradio screen even if my phone is not connected/available.

You can use the Radio (and DVD player I think?)  if you don't have a smart phone hooked up.  

- Connect a ODBII Bluetooth Adapter to the unit and utilize Torque.

DashCommand is supported via AppRadio app (via Phone)  Not sure abouut Torque.   You'll have have a jailbroken iPhone to run unsupported apps

- Connect a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx to the Appradio and be able to Send/Receive calls hands free.

Possibly, you'd be the only one in the world that buy's this for that though.   You want iPhone or Android if you're going to get an AppRadio

- Use Dragon Speaking App (Siri Clone) to make calls and send text messages hands free (when my phone is connected).

Doubt it (again need iOS or Android!)

- Use custom background screens to match my car/mood/theme when I want.

It's loaded through iOS /Android

- Animated backgrounds would be cool but not required.

Again, you would want an iOS/Android app to do this mirrored

I'm still waiting for my new AppRadio 3 to arrive so I can only comment based on what I saw via Youtube and read in the forums.

You can apparently use the Google Chromecast HDMI flash based device in the same way you can a USB device.

As far as all the Android stuff I have no idea sense I am team Apple. However I would assume it works in the same way as with the iPhone in that there are only certain apps that are officially supported to work with the unit. To get around this there is an App Radio Extensions (iPhone only) type hack for Android called ARLiberator that will allow you to use unsupported apps with the unit. 

Any BT enabled phone can be used for handsfree functions.

Lastly about the Parrot unit: Parrot is a BT company and they are the best at it. They are not however a stereo company. I wouldn't put the sound quality of a Parrot unit against any unit made by a company that is the best at what they do and Pioneer is certainly one of those companies. just a little food for thought.

Perfect! That gives me a pretty good idea now of what I might be able to do with one installed.

Think I'm going to get the 210 ($375) so I can at least load up a cd/dvd of mp3's if I need to. No matter what functionality I end up with it will be a huge step up from what I have now.

If anybody else has any input please feel free to chime in. Since I am completely new to this, any knowledge that I can pick up from those familiar with the AppRadios is worth its wait in gold to me.

Yup, I got the 210 for the same reason. (backup source, especially if a friend barrows my car etc)   It just arrived actually but I'm waiting for a few other cables first before I install it.

I might try adding a Chromecast or AppleTV at some point for kicks.   I doubt I really need it though after adding AppRadio Extension package via jailbreak.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/37240-multiple-hdmi-inputs-via-auto-switch-dashcam-dvr-iphone-5/

This self powered HDMI auto-switch works well.  (it's tiny and only $7 too)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018DQYQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_JvTdsb1WS1PBH

Have you tried the hdmi switcher on the ar3 with a phone or do you have one on a tv

I'm waiting for a $1.70 cent HDMI gender changer to arrive (so I don't have to rip my car apart to plug it in) and I'll test the HDMI auto-switch.   It works fine testing it on my main TV between HTPC and iPhone.    I expect it to work the same on the AR3 but will post my official findings.  I have the $35 Chromecast on order too for other reasons but will test it in my car too!