AVIC411.com

Rookie needs help to upgrade from Z110BT

Hi All,

I have done a lot of searching/reading on this forum but cannot find a logical (to me) and consolidated approach to my situation.....any help with my questions is very much appreciated!!

I have the 2009 Z110BT installed in a used car that I recently purchased. I do have the general usage manual for the system but it is running the original software version that came with the unit. I need to get it to the most current & effective state. I really need advise on:

1.) which update version recommended? I see threads on z120/z130/z140 and appreciate any advice on the best/most viable version to get to, based on the unit currently installed. Naturally, I would like the most current set of maps/GUI

2.) do I need to do multiple updates (z110>z120>z130) to get to optimal version? Or, can I just apply a single update from z110 to the recommended version?

3.) what are the steps needed to get this done? If someone could simply outline or send best link to do so, it would really help, as I have gotten quite lost on this in the forum search pages :-)

4.) final question that may be a dumb one but here goes.....the traffic tuner that came with the unit is the MSN portion that is no longer usable. What are my options in the update process to gain access to a traffic alternative to the obsolete MSN? Is there a way to do this via version upgrade only or do I need to have something else installed?

Many thanks again for any help!!

Hi All,

I have done a lot of searching/reading on this forum but cannot find a logical (to me) and consolidated approach to my situation.....any help with my questions is very much appreciated!!

I have the 2009 Z110BT installed in a used car that I recently purchased. I do have the general usage manual for the system but it is running the original software version that came with the unit. I need to get it to the most current & effective state. I really need advise on:

1.) which update version recommended? I see threads on z120/z130/z140 and appreciate any advice on the best/most viable version to get to, based on the unit currently installed. Naturally, I would like the most current set of maps/GUI

2.) do I need to do multiple updates (z110>z120>z130) to get to optimal version? Or, can I just apply a single update from z110 to the recommended version?

3.) what are the steps needed to get this done? If someone could simply outline or send best link to do so, it would really help, as I have gotten quite lost on this in the forum search pages :-)

4.) final question that may be a dumb one but here goes.....the traffic tuner that came with the unit is the MSN portion that is no longer usable. What are my options in the update process to gain access to a traffic alternative to the obsolete MSN? Is there a way to do this via version upgrade only or do I need to have something else installed?

Many thanks again for any help!!

1. I went with the latest version because of the support for my Android phone. I don't have any complaints. 

2. Just one update. 

3. http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/35230-2012-uscan-maps-cnsd-310fmuc-upgrade-updated-to-supereasymethod-beta/

I also went from an Z110 to the Z140 update. 

There are some major look & feel differences between the original Z110 and the last several upgrades - mostly with the iPod interface. I actually liked the original iPod screen - simple,  uncluttered, and did what I wanted.

Also, with Z140, you'll give-up VR commands for navigation. No more saying "Find the nearest ...." or any other stuff like that. Phone an iPod VR still works as before. 

Just mentioning so you'll know and won't have regretts later. If NAVI VR is important to you, use the 2011 upgrade (CNSD-210FM). But you won't get Android support for Pandora or AHA apps through the headunit (BT only).

Thanks for the replies! Particularly the link to the step-by-step upgrade. And I will go the Z140 route for the Android support. Just a 2 clarifying questions:

- Do I order the Z140 upgrade directly from Pioneer?

- Since my only option for traffic is to get a different tuner, which do I order for this system?

Again, I appreciate the help :-)

Thanks for the replies! Particularly the link to the step-by-step upgrade. And I will go the Z140 route for the Android support. Just a 2 clarifying questions:

- Do I order the Z140 upgrade directly from Pioneer?

- Since my only option for traffic is to get a different tuner, which do I order for this system?

Again, I appreciate the help :-)

You can link through the Pioneer web-site to buy the upgrgade - but it is sold directly by Navteq http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Map-Upgrades/NAVTEQ+2012+Map+Upgrade+for+AVIC-Z110BT,+AVIC-Z120BT,+and+AVIC-X920BT

If you are going to buy it, don't use the hacking instructions from the thread referenced in post #3. That is only for bootleg copies.

The new traffic tuner is here http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/AV-Components/ND-TMC10  It works with any system that has been updated with the Z130 or Z140 software.

Thanks again for those of you who replied.  Unfortunately, there is some kind of issue with the latest version of the NAVTEQ update (to 2013, v 5.01) and Pioneer has pulled it from the site for ordering.  A call to them only confirms they currently have no upgrade available and no eta when it will be re-released.  Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Thanks again for those of you who replied.  Unfortunately, there is some kind of issue with the latest version of the NAVTEQ update (to 2013, v 5.01) and Pioneer has pulled it from the site for ordering.  A call to them only confirms they currently have no upgrade available and no eta when it will be re-released.  Grrrrrrrr!!!!

I hadn't heard that the new upgrade was out - but this is the time of year when it usually is released. Since the Z110, Z120, Z130 and Z140 were all basically the same hardware, the upgrade has always included new "features" that came out in the January release of the newest product. Now, since the Z150 has a different processor and it is not backward compatible, I wonder if this 2013 update is just new maps and only minor software changes.  Makes me wonder how they could screw that up. ;)

BTW, this usually just gets us current with the newest model - map wise. So that would actually make the maps 2012. There is always a lag in the map data.