AVIC411.com

Z150 with iPhone 5 - (AppRadio Mode Problems)

Just installed AVIC Z150BH with Metra Unit (99-3010S)  in my 2011 Camaro. I have my iPhone 5 hooked up using the Pioneer cables (CD-IH202) and the Apple® Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Third Party Lightning to USB Cable. My issue is this - the AppRadio mode is extremely canterkerous. Sometimes it works well, sometimes the screen is blank, sometimes I only get a mirror of what's  on my iPhone screen, sometimes I only get part of the screen populated with data, etc, etc. The Z150BH firmware is 1.04.

I was wondering if the Third Party Lightning to USB Cable might be the culprit? Maybe I should have bought the Apple one?

Anyone else having any similar issues with AppRadio mode on the Z150?

Thanks

I would try an authentic Apple lightning cable.  I have an avic w/ iPhone 5 and I have seen some issues with it when the usb is not connected.  So if your 3rd party cable is not working then I could see it showing a black screen.  You will get a mirror of the screen if you do not have app mode working.

i've found that setup to be a little "cantankerous" too. i use the pioneer/apple cable/adapter and sometimes experience the problems you mention. i also have a third party lightening extension cable, and find when i use it, the problems are worse. basic problem is that it is just a bit buggy and a less-than-ideal setup for now. i've actually contemplated going back to a 30pin connection with adapter and avoiding appradio mode altogether. i can't wait to see how ios7 and iphone 5s F's it all up even worse...

So far iOS7 GoldMaster hasnt added any additional problems to AppRadio App itself... any more than it already had... though I have noticed a few small issues (and one big one) with some of the individual 3rd party apps that go with it. App to App changes do seem slower in iOS7 though... let me know what you think.

Sometimes, and it is rare, I have a "mirror" of my AppRadio app and itwont go into full screen mode. This happens if my bluetooth is off, or the bluetooth pairing is bad. Most of the time, the app just needs to be force quit and relaunched for it to work fine.

I have had 3 lightning extensions from eBay and NONE of them have worked correctly. All pass data, and power, but not the video (sounds like your video works though if you see a mirror image).

The only way to get AppRadio to work in my experience is by using the tiny Apple cable that comes out of the HDMI adapter.

Just to follow up, I installed the Apple Lightning to USB cable today and it has resolved all the issues I had with AppRadio. I previously tried two different third party lightning to USB cables and had all kinds of issues with AppRadio.

Also, I updated to iOS 7 today and so far it seems to behave well with the Z150.

Finally, I used the "ByPass" method previously described on this forum and it works like a charm.

Thanks AVIC411

• 6 months later...

That is weird. I don't even use the lightning to USB cable half the time as it is only needed for charging.  I only use the apple lightning A/V HDMI adapter then an HDMI cable from there into the back of the Z150BH.  I do have a usb cable running to the usb port in the back of the radio for charging but I do not have the CD-IH202 kit so don't use that square connector.