AVIC411.com

Newbee from New England

Hi...

First, I must say that I'm a senior citizen (70) so go easy on me with the technical stuff.  I'm an old skool hotrodder driving a 2001 Ford Lightning, mostly for car shows and cruise nights.  I do a bit of traveling and I have a 10 year old Garmin Nuvi, and an iPhone4.  Several Lightning owners around the country have installed Double Din radios in their trucks, so I'm willing to give it a try.  Some have AppRadios, others have different Pioneer models or Kenwoods or other brands.  And, there are loads of people selling near-new AppRadio2's as they upgrade to the newer AppRadio3's.  I'm not on an unlimited budget.  So my first post... I figure I should ask about pros and cons of different directions, but here's basically what I want in a device.

1. Full compatibility with my iPhone 4... or maybe a 5s down the road.  I'd like to be able to have hands-free capability and have the phone charge while connected.

2. Decent GPS functions without having to subscribe to a yearly update.  Would be nice to have access to gas stations, restaurants, points of interest without too much fuss in the menu screens.  Traffic functions would be nice.

3. I have grandkids and while I could care less, I'd like to have the ability to put a movie like Cars2 or Madagascar on the screen so they could watch while we're driving someplace.  The "easiest" method would be a DVD function with a bypass?  I'm not sure about the complexity of putting a movie on my iPhone and streaming it... would it screw up my phone's performance?  I don't even know _HOW_ to do that LOL.

4. I get a lot of texts from my kids about the grandkids schedules as I shuttle them to/from school and sports events.  Will texts appear on a screen, are any of these devices touch-screen, and lastly... if I had a iPhone with Siri... could you text via speech?

OK, those are the basics LOL... now point me in the right direction as far as sub-forums go, hopefully someone will pity this old grandpa and give me some decent advice.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Grandpa Mike