AVIC411.com

AVIC X930BT Backup Camera Issues

OK, so I've searched the forum for my specific problem and have not found the solution, so I'm starting a new thread. I have an X930BT HU with no modifications except the video bypass which allows Nav and video while moving.  I just installed an aftermarket backup camera and hooked it to the brown rear camera input.  The camera power is wired to the reverse light wiring.  I have tested it and the camera has power and sends an image to the screen.

The problem is: 

• I get a black screen when I start my truck with the warning about reversed image
  • When I put it in reverse, the camera turns on, image appears on screen (this is good)
  • When I put it in drive, the screen turns black and warning comes back, although I can hear my music and skip through the songs/stations with the hardware buttons
  • If I hit Mode, the screen goes back to normal
  • If I shift back into reverse, nothing happens

So, basically, I have to turn my truck off then on to get the backup camera to work. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this problem, and if there is a solution?

Here's a video of a guy with the same problem, with no solutions in the comments. 

Thanks in advance.

Did you get the black screen on startup before you installed the backup camera? If so it is a setup issue with your wire connections. On both my X940 (now sold) and X950 I get the image nearly immediately on starting the car. Another question is did you wire the camera across the backup lights or to a backup light power and to a ground? If across the backup light wires it may not work as it did not on both my F350 and also my Chevy HHR as the camera needed a separate ground connection.

oldracer - Before the camera installation, I would get the blue splash screen. On start up now, I have gotten both a completely black screen or the original blue splash screen; I think this has to do with how the polarity of the camera is set (ground vs. battery). But in both cases, I still have the same issues as mentioned before.

The wiring is across the light wires, one to power and the other to what I looked up as being the negative/ground wire.

Thanks for the response.

You did not mention the make of the car but from what the stereo shop guys told me when I bought my camera, one backup wire is power and the other goes back to the computer run lighting circuit, at least on most 2007 and later cars as my HHR is. I thought they were shining me on but found out the camera wants a separate and very good ground to the auto's body. You might want to try moving the ground and see what happens?

OK, I'll try that this evening. The vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. I thought about grounding to the body initially, but the ground wire was right there next to the power wire. I'll update after I test it out.

If all else fails, I may just plug the video wire to the AV input plug instead of the Rear View Camera plug and wire it to always-on power somewhere. I tow a little popup camper so it might be nice to see behind me whenever I want.

Thanks, and anything else you can think of will be appreciated.

OK, so I thought I found the problem: I didn't wire up the violet/white reverse signal cable from the head unit to the truck's reverse light wiring. I found out where the wire was behind the driver side kick panel and connected it using a spare piece of wiring. After hooking everything back up... still same problem. I did ground the camera to the truck body beforehand.

So unless someone can offer some additional advice, I may just have to leave it wired to the aux video input on the head unit.