AVIC411.com

<MP3 Download>XM-Sirius Merger Conference Call

Holy shit this is boring.

And 58 minutes is the shortened version?

Can you sum up the important facts?

I can Siriusly try (pun intended :) )

1. Merger has cost savings and enhances positive cash flow

2. Best content from both companies and accelerated technological growth

3. Do away with duplicate channels that appear on both services, so with the extra bandwith services can be offered such as infotainment (video services) live traffic and weather, and currently XM has been beta-testing parking garage space availablity in major cities

4. They expect to receive regulatory approvals in 9 months and complete the merger by end of calendar year 2007.

5. Speeding up the development of dual-receivers to receive both signals until technologies can be aligned.

6. Promised not to raise prices (yea right)

7. Hinted that satellites XM 3 and XM 4 both launched within the last year have the capability of transmitting on Sirius signals as well. (Hmmm how long have they been hiding this?). XM5 will be completed by end of year and remain as a ground spare. Sirius5 will still launch as planned next year for a total of 9 satellites in space for the one mega-service.

1. Yeah but I bet those savings won't come back to help the customers.

2. If they're going to improve technology, perhapes a stonger antenna? I'd like to have continuous music even if I happen to drive under a tree.

3. Ok still nothing beneficial to having a merger.

4. Good luck. Everyone else in broadcasting is going to be raising hell over this.

5. As long as the sirius works, I'm not too concerned. I would like the better interface for the N3 however.

6. Yeah okay.

7. And is that going to improve reception?

7. And is that going to improve reception?

Actually for Sirius customers yes there should be a noticable improvement. Karamazin did mention before that they would benefit from XM's superior terrestrial network. And if it is true that XM3 and XM4 do have the capability to cross-transmit, early-gen Sirius receivers (i.e. Stiletto, SIRI-PNR2, etc.) would have two extra satellites to receive the signals from.

Agreed. My XM does not cut out nearly as often as my Sirius because of the huge repeater network.

Two lines of text and reception under overpasses! Its like a dream come true! :D That being said, I am sure the FCC will crush it and I will be pissed everytime my Sirius cuts out for the rest of time

I guess the advantage of XM based in DC, whenever I drive through the Ft McHenry tunnel in Maryland, I get XM reception the whole way through.

Here in NYC, I get XM signal a quarter of the way into the Midtown Tunnel on either side, and thats solid rock and water on top of me, so it definitely is the repeater network!

"In the coming weeks, policymakers will have to weigh whether an industry that makes (shock jock) Howard Stern its poster child should be rewarded with a monopoly platform for offensive programming," NAB Executive Vice President Dennis Wharton said in a statement.

What a heap of shit. That kind of crap really pisses me off. Howard Stern is not Sirius. Not everyone who has sirius listens to him. Satellite radio is not a 13.95 per month service for "offensive programming"

And "Executive Vice President Dennis Wharton" is NOT an arrogant pompous jackass trying to protect his own interests. But he does apparently get to decide what "offensive programming" is...