AVIC411.com

Traffic Sensor addition

I have a Z110bt that has the 2012 maps/firmware update, which I am told updates my NAVI to a 940.

I live in SoCal, and traffic is of course a concern of mine.

Is the ND-TMC10 traffic sensor a worthwhile addition?    What, exactly, will it do for me?   Will my NAVI automatically route me via the fastest route?

What is involved in the installation of this tuner?

How much is a reasonable charge I should expect to pay, if I buy it and choose to have someone else do it?

I installed one - like rgarjr said - real easy. Especially if the back of the HU is accessible from under the dash. One rectangular plug goes into the back of the unit. Remove the radio antenna plugged into the HU and plug into the  ND-TMC10. Then plug the ND-TMC10's coax output into the HU antenna input jack. First time you start-up, give it some time to locate the FM channel(s) in your area and to collect some data. I'm not sure how long it takes - at first I thought something was wrong, but the next time I used the car the traffic data was there (you can view it from Destination/Traffic.

Whether it is worth it - that's up to you. I find most of the time the info is old.  Unless you enter your route into the NAV system each trip (not something I'd do every day to-from work), it isn't going to warn you about traffic or route you around it. Most of the time - when I get stuck in a jam - like yesterday  (an accident backed-up traffic for miles), the list of incidents didn't show anything. Other times its showing an old accident that's already cleared-up.

BTW, the list (retail) price for these is crazy - look for one for $80 or less.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it will re-route you if there is a traffic issue in near real time.

Obviously, it can do that only if you've set and are following route. I do that only when I am unfamiliar with the area - probably less than 5% of the total miles I drive annually.

Obviously, it can do that only if you've set and are following route. I do that only when I am unfamiliar with the area - probably less than 5% of the total miles I drive annually.

When it's first figuring a route, it says "Calculating route conditions", as if it has real-time traffic info already - but when I choose the option to show traffic, it says there is no provider selected, so I assume that it has no traffic sensor.