AVIC411.com

Z130: Upgraded Iphone 4S to 5S - Upset!!

Hey guys,

So I've had the Z130 in my BMW E39 since 2011. Haven't done any upgrade and have been happy with it. Honestly don't use the navi too much, as google maps are usually better.

I've had the iphone 4s connected to it with the help of a nicely integrated custom made dock .. (http://www.lumidock.com) - it was great.

Now with the new phone and new update unfortunately things are not as simple.

First of all, apple released their stupid protection for using cheap cables so some things become a pain in the ass.

When connected to the original cable, the ipod comes up and is controlled, but there is no audio. I am assuming because the original cable the output was analog, and now it is digital?

- What adapters are you guys using to get your iphone 5/5S with iOS7 working with your Pioneer?

- Also do you suggest I perform any updates to the AVIC? .. I read there are some updates and some people don't upgrade because they lose voice control, i never used it - however I would like a better functioning bluetooth, the other person always hears themselves (settings are properly set up)

• 2 weeks later...

Use the STOCK Pioneer 30-pin cable.  The Lightning Cable DOES NOT WORK on the Z-series, see Pioneers compatibility matrix.

You need Apple's 30 Pin to Lightening Adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Then if you still want to use your lumidock get a FlyBridge

http://flybridge.co/

It raises the iPhone up (due to the adapter), but you can use all existing "dock" devices as is.  I use this setup on my Clock Radio.  For my AVIC I just have the Apple adapter because I have the iPod in a glovebox.

I have an iPhone 5 with IOS 7.02 and the Z130BT with the map upgrade and BT upgraded Mine works with the Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable. However, the BT is a different story.

What is not working, but does sometimes for some unknown reason, is BT music. The phone connects for calls, but the Pioneer says connection unavailable for music. But when it works, it still says connection unavailable but plays music and controls the iphone. 

Recently I went on a trip and my iPhone connected without issue to the cheap head unit of my rental car, every time and without issues. My iPhone played music, worked very well with calls and gave me directions verbally from either Google maps or Apples maps. It was so nice, but now my vacation is over and while my HU, amps and speakers sound much better than the rental, that is only when it works - if it works.

I have come to the conclusion that either the Pioneer is junk, the iPhone is junk, or both are junk. I'm leaning towards the Pioneer as junk, and their financial problems attest to this, while Apples profits skyrocket. Even Apples maps are better than this piece of junks, and that's saying something. 

I'm only trying the BT because my adapter cable was still packed. Tomorrow it will be back to the cable and the hopes it will still work. I have to cross my fingers with every update - maybe it is Apples fault after all. :idea:

The BT for Pioneer works fine with the iPhone but only if you start the music playing from the phone.  Once it starts playing all the controls work on the radio as expected.  For some reason Apple's BT stack and the Pioneer BT stack don't play nice. 

My original Z110 worked fine with my iPhone 4, but once I updated to iOS5 it stopped working as intended and has never been the same.  My iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S have the same issues as the iPhone 4 did when it was updated to iOS5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bluetooth isn't working so swell for me with Pandora and Aha radio.  My 5S will pair with the head unit but when I pull up Pandora or Aha from front screen it say it can't connect.  I immediately go to bluetooth audio on the side menu and Pandora, Aha, and iPod music will play no problem and the status mysteriously shows up as "Connecting" (never shows connected, just shows connecting) with artist and track info, but no album art (album art may not be displayed on purpose, not sure).  

I ended up getting the 30pin to lightning adapter cable (not the block) and it's been working great for me to restore what I used to have, video aside.