AVIC411.com

Z140 iPhone 5 firmware in Z130?

Navteq finally posted the T1000-20495 2013 map update on their website at www.navigation.com.  The manual PDF specifically states that iPhone5 lightning functionality is for AVIC Z140BH and X940BH.  Looks like us with older units are out of luck.

So what is the result of your progress?  Were you able to get full functionality of an iPhone 5 connected to your Z130 with the update?  More importantly, were you able to get video sent to your dash? 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When attempting to install software update ver 4.6, this is what happens:

1. Files get copied into USER.

2. Z130BT reboots and attempts to flash firmware and gets stuck at uCom update.  It's looking for SYS110 and SAL110, but looking at the extracted files from the update, there's only SYS121 and SAL121.

3. After rebooting a second time, the Z130BT seems normal.

So, after installing ver 4.6, this is what I get:

1. iPod touch button changes from the 30-pin connector image to a musical note.

2. Pressing iPod goes straight to "AppRadio Mode".  I cannot switch to iPod music mode.

3. Video appears, but will not play music (sound comes out from the phone speaker). It's supposed to play through Bluetooth, but uCom firmware was not updated. Touch input from the Z130BT is not registered by the phone either.

4. Phone calls come in just fine through Bluetooth.

Having the system like this is useless to me, so I reverted back to version 4.2 using supertestmode.  I have to be able to at least play music from my phone through the stereo system.  Key note is to always have a backup in case things like this happen.

After reading the manual for the 2013 update, I'm balking at buying it and trying again.  I'll wait for CES2014 to see what Pioneer has in store next.

Is there a reason why this website crashes whenever I try to post links?

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the same thing when I updated mine yesterday.  I now have an iPhone 5S (effective today, previously had 4S).  Right before I traded the phone in for this, I noticed that if you make a phone call and click on Pandora or Aha radio that the music or radio will play briefly before the call connects, so the functionality for it to work is there even with the 30 pin connector.  I'm hoping that I can find some way of CD-IV202NAVI or CD-IH202 to work with my headunit, but don't know of anyone who has tried it out.  Calls to Pioneer were hopeless, their phone rings constantly with a busy signal on their support line.

No luck with either cable - got ahold of Pioneer since their phones were actually routable today and they confimed that Z140 hardware was different.  Looks like i'll be using my backed up USER folder to go back to the previous version as well and will try the lightning to 30 pin method so I can at least get tunes even though I will have lost video, or maybe i'll sell the unit.

No luck with either cable - got ahold of Pioneer since their phones were actually routable today and they confimed that Z140 hardware was different.  Looks like i'll be using my backed up USER folder to go back to the previous version as well and will try the lightning to 30 pin method so I can at least get tunes even though I will have lost video, or maybe i'll sell the unit.

An alternative solution that could enable video on a pre 2012 avic with an Iphone 5 could be to buy both the lightning to VGA and the lightning to 30-pin adapters and then to provide the missing composite video signal at the 30-pin connector via a VGA to composite converter. This video signal could then be injected at the 3.5mm plug of the Pioneer 30-pin Iphone adapter cable. This could even provide full Appradio mode support...

The problem with the Apple Lightning to VGA adapter is that it only passes video.  It does not pass audio nor will it pass touch commands from the headunit back to the phone.  If you connected an Apple Lightning to USB cable from a PC to the lightning jack on the VGA adapter, you will see that the PC recognizes it as a USB charging device.  Adapting the VGA adapter to composite and connecting it to an Apple Lightning to Apple 30-pin Dock adapter will also only pass Video, thus it will also not work.

For the Z140, there appears to be additional processing (probably done by the uCom update) that allows it to pass audio and touch commands via Bluetooth. 

It does not appear that the Z130 or earlier version are capable of performing that additional processing.

I'm still waiting for Pioneer to do something with iOS in the car, but they did go one step in the right direction with Siri eyes free and capacitive touchscreen.

The problem with the Apple Lightning to VGA adapter is that it only passes video.  It does not pass audio nor will it pass touch commands from the headunit back to the phone.  If you connected an Apple Lightning to USB cable from a PC to the lightning jack on the VGA adapter, you will see that the PC recognizes it as a USB charging device.  Adapting the VGA adapter to composite and connecting it to an Apple Lightning to Apple 30-pin Dock adapter will also only pass Video, thus it will also not work.

For the Z140, there appears to be additional processing (probably done by the uCom update) that allows it to pass audio and touch commands via Bluetooth. 

It does not appear that the Z130 or earlier version are capable of performing that additional processing.

I'm still waiting for Pioneer to do something with iOS in the car, but they did go one step in the right direction with Siri eyes free and capacitive touchscreen.

Ok, so the Lightning Bus is not able to handle more than one connected device. Is that what you are saying? I don't think that there is a real limitation on the uCom side, because uCom is only responsible for the analog A/V-routing and the tuner control. Bluetooth is controlled by the main processor. I think that pioneer just don't want to provide that update for their older models for obvious reasons. They want you to buy a new model.

Ok, another alternative would be to permanently connect an older IPhone or IPod touch that has a VNC client app installed. Then you could connect to the VNC server app on your Iphone 5 via wlan tethering. That should give you pretty much the same functionality as the appradio mode. In fact, the Mirrorlink protocol on the newer avics and appradios is based on VNC as well...

All I'm saying is that the Apple VGA Adapter is a video only device and it is not capable of handling Audio or Touch control data. 

Seems to me that it could be an easy software fix to the Z130 to make Audio and Touch pass through Bluetooth like it does in the Z140 and Z150.

Is there a way to upgrade a Z140 to the 2013 maps without the iPhone5 update? I have a 4S and dont plan on the 5 so all I want is the map update, sounds like the i5 update messes a bunch of stuff up.

The free z140 update from pioneerelectronics.com is only for iPhone lightning functionality and is not needed in your case. Just go to navigation.com and purchase the 2013 map update for $120 or perhaps someone has already cracked it and posted the rar somewhere.

All I'm saying is that the Apple VGA Adapter is a video only device and it is not capable of handling Audio or Touch control data. 

The VGA adapter has lightning pass-through. Do you know, if it is possible to connect and operate both the VGA adapter and the lightning-to-30-pin adapter at the same time using this pass-through connector? The reason for the incompatibility of the Iphone 5 with the 30-pin cable of the avics is that there is no composite video output via the lighntning-to-30-pin adapter. However, audio and touch control signals are available with the 30-pin adapter. So, the solution could be to add composite video to the 30-pin connector via the VGA-adapter and a VGA to composite video conversion box. There is this 3,5mm plug at pioneer's 30-pin cable. One of the 4 pins on this plug is composite video. If we are lucky, all that needs to be done is to build an adapter cable to inject the composite video signal from the conversion box at this 3,5mm plug. However, this solution requires that the lightning bus is able to handle both the VGA adapter and the 30-pin adapter at the same time. It is also not clear, if the appradio app will work in this scenario.

The lightning port on the VGA Adapter provides pass through charging only.  It does not pass data through.  I tried it out by first disabling iTunes WiFi sync and connecting the following together:
Computer -> Lightning to USB adapter -> Lighting to VGA adapter -> iPhone.  The phone simply will not sync with iTunes and the computer detected the VGA adapter as a "Charging Device"

I've also tried this with a USB speaker.  It didn't work when I added a VGA adapter to the mix.