AVIC411.com

Update Maps on Z140BH?

Looks like new Updates are not from Pioneer but NAVTEQ.  I think you also get the interface update with the 2013 maps to look like the Z150.

Z150 has 2013 maps already so no update.  However we probably will get an update for the 2014 as well, since again the new system (now called NEX8000 or something) still looks to be based on the same hardware as the older Z140, Z150, etc...

I sent a trouble ticket to Pioneer asking about a map update for the Z150. They told me late fall 2014. I asked, but they didn't say whether there'd be any features update.

So, I have a $1,000 nav unit in my dash and need to use my smartphone for navigation because the nav database in the head unit is out of date.

And this is why I'll be finding a different unit other than pioneer as my next HU. It seems pioneer cares about there customers until the next unit comes out. My next HU will be iphone operated with internet compatibility. My last update from pioneer still didn't include a new road by my house that had been there almost a year. That's just what I need when I pull my camper 20 miles out of the way because my HU didn't know it was there.

And this is why I'll be finding a different unit other than pioneer as my next HU. It seems pioneer cares about there customers until the next unit comes out. My next HU will be iphone operated with internet compatibility. My last update from pioneer still didn't include a new road by my house that had been there almost a year. That's just what I need when I pull my camper 20 miles out of the way because my HU didn't know it was there.

I agree.

I had been a happy Pioneer camper for forty years before I bought the Z150. My first Pioneer was an 8 track with the original Supertuner. 

You guys are aware that the maps are the same in all cars?  Only two or three companies make GPS data (outside of websites like Google Maps or Bing which SUPPLIMENT the GPS data with user submissions).

Pioneer obviously uses NavTeq, so whatever NavTeq has in their database is what you get on the HU.  Any HU running 2013 NavTeq maps has the SAME coverage as your units.

If you want to get upset by this, don't use ANY maps but ones that come from your phone (so they can be updated daily).  CD and HD based maps will NEVER be that accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are aware that the maps are the same in all cars?  Only two or three companies make GPS data (outside of websites like Google Maps or Bing which SUPPLIMENT the GPS data with user submissions).

Pioneer obviously uses NavTeq, so whatever NavTeq has in their database is what you get on the HU.  Any HU running 2013 NavTeq maps has the SAME coverage as your units.

If you want to get upset by this, don't use ANY maps but ones that come from your phone (so they can be updated daily).  CD and HD based maps will NEVER be that accurate.

Realistically the updates should be free and on a timely basis.

We shouldn't have to pay for them.

That's just cheesy and an insult to their customers.

As for using phone maps,that's not why people buy these units.

The indash is supposed to be able to do this accurately.

When said accuracy is iffy at the initial point of purchase,is the manufacturer not committing an act tantamount to fraud by not allowing for at least one free update with the option to buy lifetime options later?

Why do they not state the maps are only accurate to the best of their knowledge at the date of purchase?

Too many things make the GPS function of this indash questionable at best and therefore the categorizing of this thing as navigation/radio,etc unit in question.

To be honest,I would expect the OEM's to support map updates for the duration of the vehicle's warranty period or at least one year with the option to upgrade to lifetime for a nominal fee.

These radios are a luxury aftermarket add-on to a vehicle.

My Garmin 3590 CAME with lifetime free updates.

I also bought lifetime updates for my previous 755T at the princely sum of $90 directly from Garmin.

That unit came with one year free.

There was two updates for it before I had to pay for more.

So how badly is this wonder toy out of date on maps by now?

You can buy ONE update for $120 and it even comes with a Bluetooth update!

The people that won't pony up,get buppkiss as well as No Bluetooth update.

That last one should be done through Pioneer.

So if you don't pay,you get to keep using stale maps and dodgy B/Tooth.

Not very good support for what WAS pioneer's flagship.

Maybe they're thinking you'll trade it in for the new model?