AVIC411.com

I purchased a backup camera (license plate frame) and have a few questions.

1.  The camera came with 3 wires, RCA, ground and one to connect to the reverse lights.  Is there any need to hook anything to the back of the deck besides the video input (yellow RCA cord)?  Will the deck automatically switch to the camera in reverse with just having the RCA attached to it?

2.  What settings should I adjust to make this work the best?

Thanks for any input you guys can give!

The manual was pretty generic so I thought I'd post up what I did and maybe it will help someone in the future.  

Connect the camera wire from the back of the deck (should be labeled) to the reverse light in your car, I just ran a wire down the runners on the passenger side.  I tested the wires in my tail light harness (moving the car from neutral to reverse) to make sure I had the right wire.  Hook the wire from the actual camera into the same spot, then the other camera wire to a ground.  Run the RCA to the back of the deck and it's done.  I did have to switch the setting to "battery" in settings after connecting everything.  Works like a charm.  The hardest part was finding somewhere to run the wires from the camera to the inside of the trunk, but that varies by make/model of the car.  

Overall it was pretty easy to do, just took a little time

Yeah, dont wire it like the guy above did. Connect the cameras power wire to the head units red power wire. That is the proper way to wire a reverse camera.

So you're suggesting the camera is permanently live, therefore you would have to touch the camera on the screen for the rear view rather than it automatically starting when you engage reverse?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, dont wire it like the guy above did. Connect the cameras power wire to the head units red power wire. That is the proper way to wire a reverse camera.

Excuse me if I bring this thread back fro the dead, but are you referring to AppRadio  units specifically or is this "proper" for any reverse camera install ?  <_<

The wiring for a reverse camera should be

RCA from camera to AR

12v with reverse to the reverse wire on the AR

permanent 12v from anywhere to the camera

That combination will allow you view the reverse camera whenever you want, but it will automatically switch to the camera when you engage reverse.

You can get the 12v with reverse from either nicking in from the reverse light wire, or using the fuse for the reverse light if that's easier.

Any electronics store should have surveillance camera cable in various lengths.  It consists of male/female rca plugs and male/female 12v plug and makes for a super easy and clean install of your camera, while allowing you to hook up your power to the HU's red switched wire.  I think I bought a 25 foot cable for under $20.