AVIC411.com

Hi,
I have purchased Pioneer SPH DA100 and I didn't install it yet.
I will appreciate to get answers for the following questions:

1. Can I use 30 pin to lightning cable (instead of buying CD IH202 cable ?
2. Can I use 2 devices on the same HU ? (I have IPhone and Android devices - I don't need the HU to use both of the smartphones together, I just need it to support both of them.

3. is there any option to play music via USB ?

4. Does it support iphone 5s ?

5. Does this HU support sound via BT - will I hear waze from the car speakers ?

Thanks !

I have been having issues with the appradio2/ 5s setup, so far for me it is not working.

From what I've seen on the forums the 30 pin to lightning does not work.

When you connect a iphone5, the ipod controls are disabled so no playing music through usb.

Pioneer insists that without their cable it will not work. I have seen others that have the iphone5 and have everything working, not sure if my issue is because I have the 5s with ios7 or I have another problem.

You will also need to get the 8.3 firmware update and the install instructions.

Others are using the 5s without issues so thats not your problem. Do you have the settings set to "Digital" in order to address an i5 device? Are you using a genuine Apple Digital AV adapter? How much did you pay for the adapter and where did you buy it?

Hi,

I have purchased Pioneer SPH DA100 and I didn't install it yet.

I will appreciate to get answers for the following questions:

1. Can I use 30 pin to lightning cable (instead of buying CD IH202 cable ?

2. Can I use 2 devices on the same HU ? (I have IPhone and Android devices - I don't need the HU to use both of the smartphones together, I just need it to support both of them.

3. is there any option to play music via USB ?

4. Does it support iphone 5s ?

5. Does this HU support sound via BT - will I hear waze from the car speakers ?

Thanks !

1. If you want App mode you will need the proper connections. Apple Digital AV adapter, HDMI cable and a Lightning to USB cable. You don't need Pioneer's kit.

2. Not without it being a PITA.

3. No

4. Yes.

5. No BT audio on AR2 models. All audio from the phone travels over the HDMI cable.

1. If you want App mode you will need the proper connections. Apple Digital AV adapter, HDMI cable and a Lightning to USB cable. You don't need Pioneer's kit.

2. Not without it being a PITA.

3. No

4. Yes.

5. No BT audio on AR2 models. All audio from the phone travels over the HDMI cable.

Thank you very much for the detailed answers ! I just regret now for buying the Pioneer Kit....

Just a little further clarification as to why these answers are what they are. 

1. The USB port only provides power for the 5S. The Apple HDMI adaptor does not provide USB data connectivity, so control of the iPhone is done via bluetooth. Video and audio come from the HDMI, As such, you don't need any proprietary cables to get everything working. 

2. Here are the steps to switch the radio from an iPhone to and android or vice versa. 1. Change the cables from the apple HDMI to lightning adaptor to whatever the android needs to connect. This will either be an HDMI to micro or some other cable depending on your phone. You can skip this step by installing a cheap hdmi switcher and having both cables plugged in at once. However, you also need to power both devices at the same time, so you might have to wire in another power source or figure out a way to get both plugged into the USB without cutting the amount of power the devices are receiving. 2. Once you have the cables switched, turn off bluetooth on any of the devices that are in the car, make sure no device is connected, turn off the radio by pressing the "off" button on the second screen of the appradio, go to settings in appradio and switch it from "Digital" to "Others" or vice versa if you're going from Android to 5S, plug the device into the unit, turn bluetooth back on and manually connect, because by now the appradio has stopped trying to auto connect, open your appradio app and congrats you're done. This process will need to be repeated EVERY time you switch devices. Pain In The ASS!

3. The DA-100 does not support USB devices for anything other than software updates. Other AppRadio enabled units that have been made more recently, like the lineup for 2014 support more media sources and do support flash drives. 

4. As long as your 5S is connected via bluetooth, you are using the HDMI to lightning adaptor, and the radio is set to Digital, it will work great. 

5. The DA-100 does not support bluetooth streaming. The DA-110 and DA200 do. It is rumored that the hardware of the DA-100 is identical to the DA-110 save for the Mirrorlink port that has been added to the DA-110, and that the Parrot Bluetooth chip and subsequent hardware are just a software update away from supporting bluetooth streaming, but Pioneer has not provided such an update, nor have they given any indication that one is coming. For now and for the foreseeable future you can only send audio to the unit with the appropriate cable connected. 

I know these answers weren't necessary, but it's always good to make sure everyone fully understands the facts. The DA-100 is still a great radio. I hope you enjoy it. 

Others are using the 5s without issues so thats not your problem. Do you have the settings set to "Digital" in order to address an i5 device? Are you using a genuine Apple Digital AV adapter? How much did you pay for the adapter and where did you buy it?

The setting is digital. The adapter is a genuine apple adapter purchased at best buy $49. Tried 2 different HDMIs the first a basic dynex from bbuy, second an amazon that you reported was working.

VBLUE42, Thanks for all of your work on this forum, as I see you have many posts throughout several topics. I have done a lot of reading here (and at appradio world) trying to find a solution to get this up and running. For what seems like a rather simple setup for whatever reason my appradio2 and 5s never fully communicate with each other and the apps are not accessible (greyed out).

1. The USB port only provides power for the 5S. The Apple HDMI adaptor does not provide USB data connectivity, so control of the iPhone is done via bluetooth. Video and audio come from the HDMI, As such, you don't need any proprietary cables to get everything working. 

2. Here are the steps to switch the radio from an iPhone to and android or vice versa. 1. Change the cables from the apple HDMI to lightning adaptor to whatever the android needs to connect. This will either be an HDMI to micro or some other cable depending on your phone. You can skip this step by installing a cheap hdmi switcher and having both cables plugged in at once. However, you also need to power both devices at the same time, so you might have to wire in another power source or figure out a way to get both plugged into the USB without cutting the amount of power the devices are receiving. 2. Once you have the cables switched, turn off bluetooth on any of the devices that are in the car, make sure no device is connected, turn off the radio by pressing the "off" button on the second screen of the appradio, go to settings in appradio and switch it from "Digital" to "Others" or vice versa if you're going from Android to 5S, plug the device into the unit, turn bluetooth back on and manually connect, because by now the appradio has stopped trying to auto connect, open your appradio app and congrats you're done. This process will need to be repeated EVERY time you switch devices. Pain In The ASS!

3. The DA-100 does not support USB devices for anything other than software updates. Other AppRadio enabled units that have been made more recently, like the lineup for 2014 support more media sources and do support flash drives. 

4. As long as your 5S is connected via bluetooth, you are using the HDMI to lightning adaptor, and the radio is set to Digital, it will work great. 

5. The DA-100 does not support bluetooth streaming. The DA-110 and DA200 do. It is rumored that the hardware of the DA-100 is identical to the DA-110 save for the Mirrorlink port that has been added to the DA-110, and that the Parrot Bluetooth chip and subsequent hardware are just a software update away from supporting bluetooth streaming, but Pioneer has not provided such an update, nor have they given any indication that one is coming. For now and for the foreseeable future you can only send audio to the unit with the appropriate cable connected. 

I know these answers weren't necessary, but it's always good to make sure everyone fully understands the facts. The DA-100 is still a great radio. I hope you enjoy it. 

YES! i enjoyed it indeed ! thank you very much !

HI, just one more question ,so if I don't need the Pioneer cable, what is the advantage to buy it ?!

Guys you have to understand the debacle the release of the i5 caused in reference to compatibility to these units. The only reason we even have compatibility was by chance and that is the HDMI port. That port was never meant for an Apple device and was introduced to offer compatibility to Android devices. When Apple introduced the lightning connector it instantly rendered all future Apple devices incompatible with the unit. It is just by chance that Apple added HDMI to the spec for the lighting connector and by doing so Pioneer was able to come up with a solution to add compatibility to the unit through a connection they never intended on and hadn't even designed the unit for to begin with. And believe me guys, for Pioneer to go back and put forth that much effort into it is saying a lot. Once they had a solution they also had to offer some manner of a connection kit to make it easier for people to understand what they need to get the device connected and working and that is why we have the CD-IH202. Its not so they can make more money it is so they can point to a solution that didn't even exist when the DA100 was available and the i5 was out there with no compatibility. That all being said if you are resourceful you can get the same result by piecing together the items you need and save money. Guys remember most people won't want to do that and will want a ready made solution offered and most of those people are fine with it. Power users like ourselves are not those people so we will always dig for something more simple or better in order to save money.