AVIC411.com

AppRadio 3 / iPhone 5S App Mode fails to connect

I installed a new AppRadio 3 (SPH-DA210) yesterday.  However, I have failed to get the "App Mode" working with my iPhone 5S.  The "Apps" and "iPod" buttons are greyed out and don't do anything.  The phone pairs properly using Bluetooth and I can play music, but I cannot use any apps.

Setup:

- AppRadio e SPH-DA210

- iPhone 5S running latest iOS (7.0.4)

- Connected with CD-IH202 cable kit exactly a shown on the bottom of page 7 of the Installation manual with one exception: (the Pioneer proprietary USB extension cable attached at the lower left side of the rear of the unit, connected via Apple USB to lightning adapter, and the CD-IH202 HDMI cable into the HDMI port, both connected via the Apple Lightning Digital AV adapter)

- Latest firmware (2.0.5)

- Latest version of the AppRadio App on my iPhone (2.5.0)

Symptoms:

- Start up car/radio. It prompts to connect smart phone

- I connect the iPhone (AV adapter).  I get a blue bar across the top of the iphone screen and battery appears to charge for a few moments; then the charging stops, and after a few seconds, the blue bar disappears

- The AppRadio reads "Auto Connect Failed.  Retry?"  I can Retry forever, and nothing happens.  The phone does not charge

Troubleshooting:

- I've restarted the phone and the AppRadio

- I've factory reset the AppRadio

- I've deleted and re-paired the bluetooth

- I've tried in both iPhone AV and "Other" modes

- I've tried with Bluetooth both on and off

- I've tried it with AppRadio app running, and not running

Next step:

- The only thing I haven't done that I think might be the problem is use the official Pioneer Lightning to USB cable (CD-IU52).  Is this necessary to use?  Before I spend $25 on it I want to make sure it's something different than the Apple USB to Lightning cable I'm already using.  Anyone get this thing working with a 5S using my above setup without the Pioneer cable?