AVIC411.com

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! Program Start Up Error AVIC-Z140BH

I am having a huge problem. I own an avic-z140BH and the other day my battery went dead and after I jumped the car I am getting a "Program Start Up Error" with the number 6 in the bottom right hand corner. Can someone please walk me through how to fix this as I am clueless as to doing this type of work. I really am a NOOB so the more directions that you can give me would be a great help! 

I thank anyone in advance as pioneer is giving me the run around and takes no responsibility. Great customer care they have being as though the radio was just installed in august of this year. Thanks again in advance and any help is appreciated.

I am having a huge problem. I own an avic-z140BH and the other day my battery went dead and after I jumped the car I am getting a "Program Start Up Error" with the number 6 in the bottom right hand corner. Can someone please walk me through how to fix this as I am clueless as to doing this type of work. I really am a NOOB so the more directions that you can give me would be a great help! 

I thank anyone in advance as pioneer is giving me the run around and takes no responsibility. Great customer care they have being as though the radio was just installed in august of this year. Thanks again in advance and any help is appreciated.

Have you installed any updates or patches? Condi Hackmode, or any other hacks?

Make sure there is no SD in the slot. Then try a hard reboot by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds.

If that doesn't clear it, it sounds like file(s) have been corrupted. The first thing I'd try is TestMode. You'll need to read-up on it. If it doesn't run, you're bricked and will need to send it for repair. If it does work, you might be able to run off the alternate set of program files. An AVIC Z110/20/30/40  comes with two sets of program files in two different folders (PRG0 and PRG1). I assume, when the unit is new, both sets are identical. If a file in your's i scorrupt, you can force the HU to use the second copy.

But I'm getting too far ahead of myself - need to try the other stuff first.

@RonS

First of all Thank you and the other members who are helping me very much. I am very grateful for it.

No Hacks at all my radio is as vanilla as they come lol..

I also tried a hard reset and it didn't work. Can you please point me in the right direction as to what to do because I have absolutely no idea how to get into test mode and I wouldn't even begin to know where to start looking for the recovery files at. If you can just help me with that I am sure I can get through some of it as I am an internet developer but am dumb as a brick when it comes to car electronics.

BTW I called pioneer and they said since I didn't buy the radio from an authorized dealer it would cost at a minimum of $235 to fix and that it could go all the way up to $1000. That's more than I payed for the radio. I have only had it for 4 months now and bought it brand new, I am sooooo mad that they do not give any type of support whatsoever. I changed out all the speakers in my car to pioneer and of course my head unit, I hand picked their company to get all of my equipment from and it kinda irks me that after all of the money I have spent with their company that they would at least give some support to their dedicated customers. Hey but I guess that's big business for you :(

Okay so in closing if you can help me locate the recovery files and point me in the direction of test mode I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Download the zip file, unzip it and put TESTMODE.KEY in the root of an SD card.  Stick that card in your unit and turn it on. 

http://avic411.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=15233

Jason, the Admin of this site has a great video on how to navigate Testmode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipoK6dfCp_Q&feature=share&list=UUy3r5LOWS1gDfDSjnnLJT9A&index=1

Ok nrgarjr thank u so much but I have 1 question for you.... the car goes into test mode but I have no idea wat to do once I'm in there what do I do nobody has explained to me what files I need to wipe off or put on... the only thing I gathered from that video what's the backup my user data where should I go from there... remember this is not something I do everyday.. I really want to learn... this seems very hard but I know I can do it with the proper help.... thank you everyone for helpin me so far I am very grateful.. please don't give up on me I will get this done...

First - where did you by the HU? Was it new or used? The reason I ask is where I bought mine (non authorized seller) the seller provided a 1 year warranty. Never needed it, but it was reassuring. So you might check.

AFA using Testmode, I'll try to find a thread that explains what I'm suggesting to attempt a fix. We've used it before to fix corruptions caused by botched hacks. I can't tell if you've tried booting into Testmode.  If you can, there's a good chance your HU is recoverable.  Try to learn that awkward user interface to navigate around the file system. I haven't done that in over a year so I don't have the process down.

A high-level description of what I'm suggesting to try: in Testmode, go to the FFile Maintenance. In /USER folder you'll see several subfolders. PRG0 and PRG1 are the two I mentioned above. The bootloader looks in /USER for a file called PRG.FLG - if it isn't there (I think it isn't on new units), the loader uses the application files in PRG0. If PRG.FLG is present, the loader uses the files in PRG1.

So - assuming this unit has never been updated, it is currently loading files from PRG0, and PRG1 files are identical.

But before we can give more detailed instructions, we need to know if /USER/PRG.FLG is present.

I was able to get in to  boot mode and take some pics. here are the pics. please try to adjust your eyes they are pretty dark but as far as I can see the directories for PRG1 and PRG0  are exactly the same

20131221 124559

20131221 124547

20131221 124432

20131221 124417

20131221 124346

in either case ther eis no prg.flg file ANYWHERE

thanks again as usual

I was able to get in to  boot mode and take some pics. here are the pics. please try to adjust your eyes they are pretty dark but as far as I can see the directories for PRG1 and PRG0  are exactly the same

in either case there is no prg.flg file ANYWHERE

thanks again as usual

I can't read those screen shots. I don't think I need to (turning off automatic flash helps).

OK. It is a VERY good idea, before attempting any "fixes" to back-up /USER to SD. Rule #1 when attemptin to fix something - Don't make it worse.

The Testmode file manager has a quirky user interface. So this is a good way to learn it. I haven't done it is a long while, but I think it is covered in the video.

Next, since there is no PRG.FLG in /USER, we need to add one. This is an empty file - you can create one on your PC, copy to SD, (with Testmode.key in root). Reboot the AVIC into TestMode, then select PRG.FLG on the SD, and copy it to /USER

Eject the SD and reboot the AVIC. See if that solves your problem.

One thing that bothers me is - I can't understand how the files could get corrupted in the 1st place. So - this might not fix the problem. However, this does seem like a software (rather than hardware) failure, so it is worth a shot.

Another option would be to re-install the last upgrade (CNSD-310FM). I think you can force a re-install in the TestMode menu - but I've never done that.

I found a reference in another thread that says:

"get previous update, put on sd card with testmode.key (normal one) and select force update platform and navigation."

However, that would be a last-resort and may not even work on  Z140. CNSD-310FM was an ugrade to older unitw to the latest (Z140 - at that time) software and maps. However Z140 has the additional feature of auto-equalization - using a special mic). So that feature might not be supported with the CNSD-310FM update. You could also try the latest upgrade available for purchase on NAVTEQ web-site. It is for the Z140, but might be just maps.

• 2 months later...

@RonS - not meaning to high jack this thread but you really seemed to be knowledgeable - Can you take a look at this thread and see if you have any ideas? I have researched hi and lo and have not found a path - tech support is useless (as expected). It seems to be a software hick-up so I was hoping I could get it fixed with a little help. check out the video I took of the issue. Hope you can check it out. Cheers P.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/38453-z140bh-in-a-select-program-language-loop/?hl=loop