AVIC411.com

Has anyone done the 2013 Map Update on Z130BT?

Has anyone done the 2013 Map Update to the Z130BT and if so, how has it worked out for you? Any problems or quirks like the last update losing voice control of navigation? Do you use an iphone 5 with lightning adapter cable? Does it still work.

My Z130BT does have the 2012 map update, and I use an iPhone 5 with an apple 30 pin to lightning adapter. It works most of the time. Sometimes it will not connect and I have to unplug it or shut the car off and restart. Most of the time it is just an unplug and replug. But at least it works most of the time.

The other issue is that when playing a certain podcast(the Tech Guy Leo Laporte), it will lock the Z130BT up and I must shut the car off, disconnect the iPhone and close the podcast app on the iphone.

BT audio is also very finicky, sometimes it works but most of the time it won't. I was in a Nissan rental last October and the iPhone connected without issue to the stock cheap-as-they-come audio.

So, I'm a little hesitant to update and find out it will now lockup for some other weird reason.

So, any guinea pigs out there?

Some of us tried the 4.6 update (Basically 2013 map update, but without the maps) and didn't have too good of an experience - see thread here http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/37506-z140-iphone-5-firmware-in-z130/

I imagine Z140 and above will have the best experience since they can use the cables.  What I don't know is if the NAVTEQ update is tailored specifically for Z130's and below and wouldn't cause as much hassle or if it is simply the Z140 4.6 update just bundled with 2013 maps.  I currently use an official Apple 30pin to thunderbolt cable (not the block) and what I believe is a generic AVIC 30 pin cable and it's been working great for me on the 4.0 software with 2012 maps, minus video.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you both for the info. I'm just not going to fall for the map update gimmick of paying $120 more towards this failed experiment. The maps and GPS system are garbage, Google maps are so much better - and FREE!

Pioneer never did support this product with updates for the numerous glitches it has, instead they expect us to pay another grand or more for yet another in dash system as we cross our fingers that this one is better. My choice when upgrading was to use this system, or build my own car PC. I'm sure there would have been problems with the car PC too, but at least I would personally know the tech and could fix it myself. 

I've soured on Pioneer now, and they will not get another dime from me.

For the podcast, I have to re-encode it myself using Adobe Media Encoder to listen to  Leo Laporte or it will crash the Z130. So I now realize that when the audio sales guy was telling me how the other systems needed a reset button and the Pioneer didn't, that was not a plus, but rather a missing necessary feature. Shutting off my car is not the best option for a reset.

Sorry for the rant, but I really feel that spending over $1500 on a car stereo head unit should have meant that I was getting a top of the line system. On the plus side, I installed upgraded speakers and amps and they have always worked flawlessly - they are of course NOT Pioneer.

I am done with pioneer as well! I don't think spending that much money for something I have update every year and even the updates aren't updated. I think I'll be installing an iPad mini as my head unit. It may not have the features a real HU has but all I need it to do is work, when I need it to work , and how I need it to work, not just say well the gps got me where I was going even though I went 2 hours out of the way , as I did on a trip last year.