AVIC411.com

AVIC-8000NEX

Woot!!!... post #1 !!

It looks like the NEX is not running Windows CE like their older units, but some flavor of Android.  How else could the get away with no royalty payments.

The NEX case looks to be very similar to the AVIC-Zxxx models but maybe with a large lower "lip".  Good to see they stuck with a design that works.

However. the MSRP at $1400 is way too steep.  Cant wait for it to hit the grey market and get it for way less.  I'm hoping the same bypass is available for the NEX line.  I've enjoyed my AVIC-Zxxx that I upgraded to a z150,  or was it a z180.  I've forgot.

Even their top of the line AVIC now sells for $900.  Geesh.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to CES last week and looked at the unit first hand.  I should have asked what the OS was.  As for the unit itself, it's not ready for prime time.  They did not get the unit up to speed for the show.  Every time they tried to demo something it would crash and reboot.  They said they need to fix all the tweaks to make a release date for early March.  The UI is completely overhauled and they did make some improvements over the old UI but it's still lacking basic things found in other units like speed limit signs, etc.  They also took away the split screen mode for AppRadio but are considering adding that back in.  They did however make the iPhone as an actual source now.  You don't need to use the app radio's Car Media Player to play music and videos.  It works like the old days as an actual source.  I complained about the app radio portion needing all the cables and allow buttons but they said it was 1) due to working with Apple as a third pary and 2) legal disclamers to prevent claims against them.  They agreed it's a PITA but since they are tied to third party stuff, they have no choice.  They said once they get it up to speed, they are going to post videos within the next few weeks.

I would assume that all these new features will work with the iPhone 5s.  I have watched a bunch of videos and they say 4, 4s and 5, but not 5s specifically.  Anyone test it with a 5s to see if we loose any functionality?  Can you play videos from the iPhone if it's hooked up via HDMI?

I'm getting this radio put in my 2009 Audi TT roadster, as soon as my local shop gets it (which they anticipate will be March). I already have CableJive's 2' Dock Xtender lightning extension cable, and an iPhone 5S. Thus far, I have ZERO complaints with the extension cable. It works perfectly with my phone and my TV when testing it, and I'm using it every night when recharging my phone to see if it would burn out like any bs knockoff cable.

My shop has a 3 month full money back guarantee, so if there is any incompatibility at all or something I am unhappy with, I know I'll get my money back. I don't know why I would be unhappy though....all this 8000NEX has to do is be better than Audi's OEM nav unit, which shouldn't be too much of a challenge because IT SUCKS!!!

I'll take this one for the rest of us, and become an early adopter. I'm getting this radio with backup can and all, the very day it comes out. I will test this with my iPhone 5S and post my in-depth review here. My promises.

I just have one question...WHO'S WITH ME!

C'mon mandudebro, haven't you seen Iron Man?!  Jarvis INSISTED on beta testing, but did Tony Stark have time for that?  No, and neither do I!  If this doesn't work as advertised, I know it will AT LEAST work better than Audi's OEM crap.

Audi's idea of a nav system is no smartphone compatibility unless you spend $200 on an addon, that requires an additional $140 for service to take apart the dash to get to the back of the OEM radio.  Are you kidding me?!  That's almost $400 right there!  It's still a DVD based nav system, in which they want $300-$400 for the latest maps!  Already, we're adding up to half the cost of a new 8000NEX, which does not require addons for smartphones, and is not prehistoric by ways of DVD navigation.

I'm pretty sure this will be a lot better. 

we're adding up to half the cost of a new 8000NEX, which does not require addons for smartphones.

I'm pretty sure this will be a lot better.

It does indeed require a cable kit for smartphones. And many have assumed the Pio system would be better then the OEM system only to find out they were wrong.