AVIC411.com

AVIC-8000NEX

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to pay for something I'm not going to use in am AVIC unit. I have owned all AVICS up to the Z120 and the navi software is just garbage IMO. I can get better navi from the various navi apps I have with my i5 through App Mode then an AVIC could ever provide. Also many AVIC and AVH users have issues with app mode and their units. The App Radio is solid.

I have an AVIC-X950BH and some of the apps on my unit will not even work (black screen) vs. the regular SPH (App Radio) head units.  I don't know how the NEX series is going to play out but it wouldn't surprise me if it exhibits the same issues.

Really.....so App "Mode" is just something that tries to do everything that AppRadio does?!  So who else here recommends I get AppRadio 3?  I've been told mixed reviews.  I've been told it's crappy and extraordinarily slow.  Is this inaccurate?

Okay, another thing....I want to completely hide my iPhone when it's plugged in.  I do not want to have to hit an "allow" button or anything in order to do basic things like GPS or music playing (for music directly stored on my phone.....not Pandora).  For extraordinarily basic functions like this, do I still have to launch that "App Radio" App????  With an iPhone 5, hooked up with the digital AV adapter?

Okay, another thing....I want to completely hide my iPhone when it's plugged in.  I do not want to have to hit an "allow" button or anything in order to do basic things like GPS or music playing (for music directly stored on my phone.....not Pandora).  For extraordinarily basic functions like this, do I still have to launch that "App Radio" App????  With an iPhone 5, hooked up with the digital AV adapter?

You would have to hit the "Apps" button on the screen in older AVICs like my Z150. You then get control of your phone through the head unit screen. Playing music is fairly transparent through Bluetooth, if you don't want to see mp3 tag information. For that, you have to plug in. My experience is with Android, BTW. Your mileage may vary with Apple products.

aaaand that is why I will definitely prefer an AVIC over an App Radio.  I can totally see myself getting frustrated with having to remember to unlock my phone in order to do simple things on a GPS.  I have no intention of playing angry birds or anything on my screen.  To want to JUST route to a place or play a song without going through all that.......I'm after just something simple.  With that being said, should I NOT be after Pioneer?  Does Pioneer seem to favor features over simplicity?

One of the several annoying things with my AVIC Z130 is the regular radio (AM/FM) presets don't show a station label, just preset 1, 2, 3 etc so you have to remember what preset is what - kind of stupid.  Does the NEX fix that?  Would also be nice if you could have presets on pages mixed between XM, AM and FM too, and displayed at the same time as the map, but for starters the broadcast radio call letter/number lables would be nice.   I wanted the built in GPS anyway but I definately would not have gotten the AVIC for the app radio mode.  It all sounded good but never lived up to the hype for me with my Iphone 4S.  Then I got an Iphone 5S and, well, the cables needed to make that workwith the Z130 just didn't seem worth the hassle.  I'm interested to see the NEX in persion but if the NEX isn't leaps ahead of the AVIC in the app radio mode and the UI I don't think it'd be worth the change for me just yet. 

One of the several annoying things with my AVIC Z130 is the regular radio (AM/FM) presets don't show a station label, just preset 1, 2, 3 etc so you have to remember what preset is what - kind of stupid.  Does the NEX fix that?  Would also be nice if you could have presets on pages mixed between XM, AM and FM too, and displayed at the same time as the map, but for starters the broadcast radio call letter/number lables would be nice.   I wanted the built in GPS anyway but I definately would not have gotten the AVIC for the app radio mode.  It all sounded good but never lived up to the hype for me with my Iphone 4S.  Then I got an Iphone 5S and, well, the cables needed to make that workwith the Z130 just didn't seem worth the hassle.  I'm interested to see the NEX in persion but if the NEX isn't leaps ahead of the AVIC in the app radio mode and the UI I don't think it'd be worth the change for me just yet. 

Unless Pioneer is taking yet another step backwards, my Z150 has station labels on the presets. I'd guess that the NEX would have them as well.

Most iDevice navi apps only use data while doing searches or pulling traffic data. The tracking is done through GPS. You will use more data with apps like pandora then you ever will with a navi app. And the NEX is going to use as much data from your phone for traffic as the phone would for an app.