AVIC411.com

Have you noticed how limited it is, knowing Apple and considering the potential disastrous consequences of distracting a driver behind the wheel I don't expect them to increase the interactivity by adding more apps. Hopefully I'm wrong. Definitely not buying a new car to get it though, perfectly happy with my AppRadio.

Have you noticed how limited it is, knowing Apple and considering the potential disastrous consequences of distracting a driver behind the wheel I don't expect them to increase the interactivity by adding more apps. Hopefully I'm wrong. Definitely not buying a new car to get it though, perfectly happy with my AppRadio.

Well Apple has already announced support for a handful of 3rd party music apps. If they release a general API you could have an explosion of apps since passing the apple approval process would just have added clauses for CarPlay requirements. The approval system itself is already pretty robust. 

I'm not worried. I don't ever remember Apple officially calling out the aftermarket radio makers for Siri Eyes Free support. However, anyone that has an AppRadio 3 will tell you that Siri Eyes Free support is very much there. Now as far as this new system I actually wouldn't be surprised if any of the head units that support AppRadio mode and Siri Eyes free wouldn't be able to handle iOS CarPlay. The Honda Head unit that is shown off in the pictures on Apple's website connect to the iPhone in the exact same way that the AppRadio units connect to iPhones. Hell, the Honda Apps actually work with AppRadio. By that inference, we might even be able to get CarPlay to work on AppRadio 2s as well. It all remains to be seen. 

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that how the CarPlay system works is not through the HDMi cable solution that Pioneer and Honda currently use for their systems, but instead a simple Lightning cable, which is not at all unlike MirrorLink, I would guesstimate that at Best any current MirrorLink compatible headunit could pick it up and at worse they will update the NEX line only. 

Considering that how the CarPlay system works is not through the HDMi cable solution that Pioneer and Honda currently use for their systems, but instead a simple Lightning cable, which is not at all unlike MirrorLink, I would guesstimate that at Best any current MirrorLink compatible headunit could pick it up and at worse they will update the NEX line only. 

You know this for a fact?  It could very-well be the same setup using HDMI with a Digital adapter that they hide in the dash and only show you the lighting plug much like I have myself.