AVIC411.com

Avic 150 vs NEX

Before I pulled the trigger on a NEX unit, I'd wait for a few people to get their hands on it. There's a fellow that posts here that saw it at CES when they announced it and he didn't think it was ready for prime time. The late February release date has slipped to now late March, and some of the guys here that have one ordered are now being told April. Like most things electronic, there's often a price to be paid to be an early adopter.

Here's my problem with any pure nav product: updates. I bought my Z150 last June. The first update won't be released until this fall. How much do you want to bet that the update will be out of date by the time Navteq releases them?

I am not happy with App Mode. I think it's a clunky implementation. From what I've seen of Mirrorlink - which is not a Pioneer product but rather an automotive infotainment standard - it looks sweet. I'm not quite ready to drop 1.4 large on one yet, though.

Most everyone should have their 2014 products on the street by June. It might be worth waiting to see what else is out there.