AVIC411.com

Intel NUC (BAY TRAIL)/APP RADIO 3/LEAP MOTION INFRARED = AWESOME!

I just set this up today, and I wanted to share with you guys.

My setup:

nuc-kit-dn2820fykh-10516694-2x1.jpg.rend
Intel® NUC Kit DN2820FYKH (8GB RAM, WIFI, BT 4.0,INFRARED PORT, USB 3.0, 240GB SSD, 2.2GHZ DUAL CORE CELERON BAY TRAIL)

51ujiIrMkHL._SY300_.jpg
inVERT - 100 Watt Portable Power Inverter w USB

0072286886922_500X500.jpg
Belkin av10115 2 PORT HDMI AUTO SWITCHER (self Powered)

393268-leap-motion-controller.jpg?thumb=
Leap Motion controller (Controls NUC with swipe gestures)

51AdKBrEujL.jpg
Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard N5901

Heres a quick video I made of me skipping tracks from winamp in my car 

I currently have Windows 8.1 Pro installed on the NUC, I find the tiles make it easier to navigate with such a low screen res. 

The HDMI switcher works perfectly, I can have my iPhone 5S plugged in and outputting video to the AR3, as soon as I power on the NUC the HDMI input switches automatically to the PC. When the PC turns off, it goes back to the iPhone. :)

When Im listening to music, I can still have my iPhone 5S connected via Bluetooth and make/receive calls/use siri

The leap motion controller works perfectly in the area of space I have in my car. I can control my Windows 8.1 mouse pointer with my index finger, Adjust my volume with circle gestures, skip tracks with left to right swipes, keytap swipes for play/pause. So far this is all that I have tested today.

I was concerned about heat generating from the NUC from it being in my glovebox. But I can tell you this thing hardly generates any heat at all. Its such low power, it doesnt get hot. I think I read that it draws somewhere around 7 watts power. It was a perfect fit in my DIN slot in my glovebox. Had it powered on with the glovebox door closed for a 3 hr drive today. It was still cool to the touch when I arrived at my destination.

More videos to come....  soon :)

Why?

I mean don't get me wrong it's a cool carPC, but why?

The phones are so freaking fast right now that I just don't see the appeal anymore.

I have my entire music library in my car now, 175GB in total, I can control it all with swipe gestures. Good enough reason for me.

Okay... 175GB of music, say an average of 5MB per track (high quality compressed) gives you over 35,000 tracks. About 2500 hours of music, or 3.5 months solid listening. In other words I think you need to learn to organize your music collection a little bit better.

Or you could have just used and Android phone and 128GB SD card or wireless NAS. With the SD card you could carry your vast collection with you everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Okay... 175GB of music, say an average of 5MB per track (high quality compressed) gives you over 35,000 tracks. About 2500 hours of music, or 3.5 months solid listening. In other words I think you need to learn to organize your music collection a little bit better.

Or you could have just used and Android phone and 128GB SD card or wireless NAS. With the SD card you could carry your vast collection with you everywhere.

I have organized my collection meticulously over the last 10 years. I just like having it all with me where ever I go. :)

The whole point of this setup was to integrate the infrared controller for hand gestures with the NUC/AR3 deck. No android setup can replicate my results, so ill pass on your suggestion.

• 1 month later...

First of all DDuB420 - that's the coolest setup ever.

And for the people that ask why, the answer is simple -- because you CAN!

I've got an Intel NUC that I use for my HTPC Plex server and I want to get another to do what you are doing.  Can I ask a couple questions?

1.  Do you have to have a bypass installed to use your PC while driving?

2.  Can you post a wiring diagram, of how you have everything connected?

3.  Are you able to connect to your iPhone as a hotspot to get in-car 4G?

I definitely want to do this.

Answers:

1. Yes the bypass must be installed for this to work. 

2. No need for a diagram.

Heres the breakdown...

1FT HDMI cable connected to the "hdmi in" on the back of the AR3 - to "HDMI out" on the Belkin HDMI auto switching HDMI splitter - x2 3FT HDMI cables running from each "HDMI in" port on the auto switcher - One runs to my iphone lighting adapter the other to the back of the NUC.

Power for the nuc comes from by cigarette lighter port using the inverter (in OP) and the power cable runs behind the deck to the glovebox where the NUC is. The USB cable for the Leap is run behind the glovebox and the deck to in front of the shifter.

3. Yes I use my iphone 5S for a hotspot :)