AVIC411.com

AVIC-7000NEX in hand

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What problem are you having?

It's not reading beyond 2GB on SDHC cards.  It's also not reading most USB flash drives.  They tested while I was on the phone and said their unit is not having that problem.  I'm guessing the controller is defective.  Now I get to play the waiting and shipping game.  And listen to my installer bemoan having to repeat his work.  Hopefully I don't have to pay for the install again.

Can you take it back to where you bought it from and ask for a replacement? In the UK most shops will just replace the unit and they deal with sending it off to the manufacturer.

Koush

The shop that does my install doesn't have this model yet, so I ordered it from ABT.com. Plus I'm in the States.

Just got off the phone with Pioneer Customer service regarding the inability to zoom in map view.  They had a demo unit working on their end and were able to repeat the problem.  The service agent checked with the local tech, who also repeated the problem and confirmed the inability to zoom map view.  They said this was a brand new unit (duh!), I was the first (and so far only) person to call with an issue, and they opened a ticket.  Said they would further research the problem to see if there was a way to enable zoom.

I'm speculating now, but this is clearly a bug.  A nav system with no ability to zoom the map?  That's painfully hilarious.  Expect a firmware update to fix this "feature".

Wow!  This unit sounds like a nightmare.  I still have the X950BH and the only feature I like that they've added was the posted speed limit info on the NAV screen which I really wish I could add to the X950BH but the one feature which I use all the time which was removed was the AppMode display.  It was 2D/3D/AppMode.  I even asked good 'ol Harry at the Pioneer booth at CES about it and he had no idea why it was dropped (actually he didn't even realize (at the time) that the posted speed limits were going to be imposed).  The AppMode display gave a spit screen for the built in NAV and the AppRadio.

Now that I'm reading how buggy it is and that the bypass is an issue, I think I'll wait this one out.  Also, unrelated, the latest firmware for the Z150/X950/X850 has blown apart the bypass I believe.  You would think that after all the trouble we had gone through with the previoius model using AppRadio, this would be better.

Wow!  This unit sounds like a nightmare.  I still have the X950BH and the only feature I like that they've added was the posted speed limit info on the NAV screen which I really wish I could add to the X950BH but the one feature which I use all the time which was removed was the AppMode display.  It was 2D/3D/AppMode.  I even asked good 'ol Harry at the Pioneer booth at CES about it and he had no idea why it was dropped (actually he didn't even realize (at the time) that the posted speed limits were going to be imposed).  The AppMode display gave a spit screen for the built in NAV and the AppRadio.

Now that I'm reading how buggy it is and that the bypass is an issue, I think I'll wait this one out.  Also, unrelated, the latest firmware for the Z150/X950/X850 has blown apart the bypass I believe.  You would think that after all the trouble we had gone through with the previoius model using AppRadio, this would be better.

I made a rather unexpected discovery regarding my Z150 today... it will work with two Bluetooth inputs. I've got it set for phone Bluetooth off of the Galaxy S4 and audio Bluetooth from the Nexus 7. What that means is that I can now use the Nexus 7 as my navigation (using either Waze or Google Maps) and as an audio player using Poweramp, which gives me far greater options than using the iPod Classic. Since I was not thinking, I didn't buy the LTE version of the Nexus, so I'll have to tether it off of the S4.

Where does the Pioneer fit in? I use it for it's amplifier, hands free calling and the backup camera. Not bad for $800.  :shock:  :idea:  :x

Just a few updates and corrections to my prior comments.

I found the animated wallpapers.  These are only functional on the A/V screens, not the home screen.  No animations on the home screen. 

You can't force the unit to stay on the home screen indefinitely.  The home screen is rather good looking (a bit of a Windows Metro feel to it), it places the current audio source album art among the icons.  A shame you can't leave it in this mode.  After about 30 seconds, it reverts to your prior mode, either map or the audio source.

Still no solution for inability to zoom the map.  A real head scratcher.

There's lot of settings on this unit.  You can select any setting as a "favorite", and the first item in the settings menu is the favorites menu.  This is handy for dropping commonly used (and sometimes hard to find) settings like "smart phone setup".   

There's a "private" button on the main telephone screen when you're talking.  This instantly sends your hands-free phone audio back to your handset.  Super useful, and it works well.  I continue to be impressed with the bluetooth hands-free setup on this unit.  Works great, pairs with my iPhone seamlessly, and sounds fantastic.  As I'm in a convertible, the ability to quickly send the conversation to my handset is most welcome, to overcome inevitable wind noise on the mic with the top down.

Map colors are atrocious and cannot be changed.  There's a setting to apply a "theme" to day and night mode, but only one choice is available on the menu (curiously labelled "dark").  As an example, for some reason most of my home town is overlaid with various flavors of grey and white "contour lines" for lack of a better word, except they're a solid fill.  Roads on this background are white.  Seriously.  (If I can remember, I'll get a pic to show this effect).   On a majority of my local roads, the road color becomes invisible against the white/grey background.   Overall, navigation is pretty much unusable on this unit, at least until some problems are fixed (zoom, colors, curious labeling, etc.).  I'll be placing a portable Garmin back in my vehicle for navigation use; the AVIC NEX units are that bad.

Screen glare and reflection are pretty bad as well.  In direct sunlight, the screen is completely washed out (unavoidable condition on a convertible).  My hope is the 8000NEX has a better screen in this regard; I will take a look at that unit when its finally released.

----------------

My overall grade for the 7000NEX is a C+  

Highlight negatives include: Appmode is worthless and buggy; navigation is unusable with fatal bugs; Siri eyes free doesn't work at all; digital media files are played alphabetically and not in album order, and the screen is terrible in direct light.

Positives are: very good audio quality; quick boot up and movement between menus; decent Sat radio, good album art integration from Sirius, SD cards, and USB connected iPhones; and outstanding hands free bluetooth connectivity, features, and sound quality.

As always, YMMV.  The quest for a decent aftermarket head unit with features on-par with current OEM offerings continues.