AVIC411.com

AVIC-7000NEX in hand

Highlight negatives include: Appmode is worthless and buggy; navigation is unusable with fatal bugs; Siri eyes free doesn't work at all; digital media files are played alphabetically and not in album order, and the screen is terrible in direct light.

Positives are: very good audio quality; quick boot up and movement between menus; decent Sat radio, good album art integration from Sirius, SD cards, and USB connected iPhones; and outstanding hands free bluetooth connectivity, features, and sound quality.

As always, YMMV.  The quest for a decent aftermarket head unit with features on-par with current OEM offerings continues.

This is pretty much spot on.  Sound quality is quite good.  It sounds much warmer than my Kenwood X997 did, but requires a bit of EQ'ing yet at my BitTen D.  The pre-outs are also running at 3.8V, compared to the 3.4 my Kenwood put out.  I'm still not convinced that the head unit's sound processing is turned off completely.  The UI is a bit confusing in that regard.  It also doesn't look like there is a way to turn off the internal amplifier, which I don't like.  It seems like they spent all their time on UI development, and everything else got rushed out the door.  It's a great idea, mediocre execution.

Hopefully the replacement that ABT.com sends me doesn't have the USB/SD card problem I experienced.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diablo2112, i drive an AudiTT convertible, as my signature advises.  

I'm thinking about putting the mic right below the air conditioning knobs, as that seems like the least likely place that wind noise would come in.

As a convertible owner, I never did understand something....what exactly is the purpose of a wind screen?  I have a button for this mesh screen that comes up, and I never understood the point of it.  Is it to minimize wind noise????

As a convertible owner, I never did understand something....what exactly is the purpose of a wind screen?  I have a button for this mesh screen that comes up, and I never understood the point of it.  Is it to minimize wind noise????

Mostly to guide the wind over your head, to prevent wind blowing into the back of your neck....

Final update:

I contacted my dealer regarding the problems with the 7000NEX and was informed that Pioneer is recalling all of these units.  I was told to bring it back in for an exchange.  I just did the uninstall, packed it up, and brought back a non-Pioneer unit.  Clearly, Pioneer has some bugs to fix before this unit is ready for public release.

Final update:

I contacted my dealer regarding the problems with the 7000NEX and was informed that Pioneer is recalling all of these units.  I was told to bring it back in for an exchange.  I just did the uninstall, packed it up, and brought back a non-Pioneer unit.  Clearly, Pioneer has some bugs to fix before this unit is ready for public release.

Thank you for your service to our country as an early adopter!  :mrgreen:

Final update:

Dang.  Just the 7000 models, or all NAV models?

Guys, this is reminiscent of 2008 when the First gen F series was released. It was a brand new unit and horribly buggy to the point that it practically didn't work at all. Pioneer denied, denied, denied for about 30 days that there weren't any problems until this forum brought them out to such a point that they had to issue a recall on the units. And it took them another 45 or so days to come up with the first update to get the unit to a half way functional state and even then it was piss poor. Not until 1.08 was the unit even close to satisfactory and then not even. It was 6 months before 2.0 was released that you finally had a unit that you could feel comfortable using. I was there and was part of the massive hacking community that brought these units to usability while we were waiting on Pioneer. It was a disaster and it sounds as if it is being repeated here. Be warned it may be a while if you are an early adopter to see a fix.

Well lets be glad we can't listen to everyone else, as mad as I am with Pioneer over the idatalink situation, I've been playing with my 7000 for over an hour now with no issues.  You had me worried, but Im thinking you're making it way worse then it is...recall? Really?

Great, I'm thrilled to here others haven't seen the issues I had.  I gave a very specific list of problems (Siri doesn't work, map won't zoom, etc.).  Does your 7000NEX have these issues?  If not, then that's an important data point.  Perhaps my specific unit had some issue.

Good to know.  To be clear, here was my issue: you can zoom the map in the non-moving (select destination) screen.  However, when you return to the normal map which follows you as you drive, this screen does NOT retain the zoom setting.  If you're playing with your unit under static conditions (not driving), it will work fine.   Once you're in the moving car, the zoom won't hold for the normal scrolling map.

Also, do you have an iPhone?  Does Siri work?  I got literally 3 seconds of hissing as a response to any Siri query.

I just spoke with a senior administrative person for Pioneer and he says that the reports of a recall are absolutely untrue.  We have not had issues with the ones that we have used so far, in fact, they have been pretty darn cool, and I am looking forward to using them once a bypass is figured out.