AVIC411.com

AVIC-D3 is in my hands!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest THE OP

Question on the D3 for those of you that have it installed. I know it has a single slot, but can you have the NAV dvd loaded and play an AUX device MP3 such as an Ipod or USB device.

I want to be able to at least play music while the NAV DVD is loaded. Is this possible?

Guest THE OP
OP, absolutely yes you can do that.

Thanks Mannyman. GL with the install. BTW what kind of car are you installing this in? I'm going to put mine in a 350Z once I get it. Should be a nice setup and hopefully it'll have that 'stock' look.

Will definitely post pics and who knows maybe even a video. We'll see...

I'm installing in a 95 Nissan Maxima. This is my first time installing a car stereo, but I think I can handle it. The harness is wired and ready to go, I just gotta put it in there now.

By the way, I will be installing with ipod and xm navtraffic capabilities...

why are you blowing fuses bro? you use a harness, plug it in after connecting it on the bench. now if your splicing wires and letting things hang and touch in the dash thats another story, but for the quick and easy harness install theres no need to disconnect the battery.

Guest THE OP

GL and post them pics (and video). YouTube is your friend. :D

I'm checking the availability now on CF. Here is their response "We don't have an ETA on the D3 yet. I can e-mail you when we get that info, or if you want to go ahead and place your order, just enter my name as your advisor and I will keep you updated."

Alrighty then... 8)

why are you blowing fuses bro? you use a harness, plug it in after connecting it on the bench. now if your splicing wires and letting things hang and touch in the dash thats another story, but for the quick and easy harness install theres no need to disconnect the battery.

Yeah... I tried to do it without the harness. Really stupid back then. Everyone starts off as a newbie!

I finally got the d3 installed (Crutchfield had sent me the wrong harness so they had to sat deliver another one to me), I haven't had a spare minute to mount my navigation system or xm radio up but I have been playing with the radio and ipod connection tonight. I'll set up the gps antenna and xm tomorrow. So far I think the unit is awesome!

Also, I took a 2 minute video showing the new ipod experience. I would like to upload it to youtube but I'm having problems with the upload right now. Ipod integration is very nice indeed, my only complaint is that the id tags don't scroll if they're long.

One other neat thing the d3 does is if you haven't set a color preference for your illuminated buttons, it slowly changes through random colors kinda like a rainbow effect. The video does show that a bit if you guys end up ever seeing it!

Anyway I gotta run for now but will check in soon!

Here are some pictures for the time being, excuse the dirtiness I'm going to be tidying this dash up real soon!

post-3693-12872751819445_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751824687_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751825511_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751826309_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751827022_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751827784_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751828487_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751829242_thumb.jpg

post-3693-12872751830382_thumb.jpg

post-3693-1287275183113_thumb.jpg

I ended up compressing the video and uploading to sendspace:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cowvni

Some things to point out:

- When the video starts I am turning on my car, notice that the ipod music starts up very quickly as the pioneer unit is still booting up. Then it seamlessly takes you to the ipod playback menu.

- The playback quality is excellent. I didn't need to mess with any volume controls on the ipod itself to get it working with correct amplification.

- You can use the on screen controls to change songs, or you can use the buttons on the left as well.

- I forgot to demonstrate the volume knob. It has a numeric representation of volume level that appears on the lower right corner of the screen, from 0 to 40. Very very nice! Also for the mute button just push and hold in the volume knob. Just push it (click) to quickly change av inputs.

- The illuminated lights on the left side have the ability to change colors on the fly, pretty neat effect.

- Ipod navigation is pretty quick and seamless. I have some 3000+ songs on my ipod and this interface is working out for me pretty well. You can still look through the ipod's library while driving, by the way. Also most of you already knew that the ipod does charge as it is plugged in, unless you turn this feature off in the menu.

- The actual ipod unit syncs with the Pioneer logo on its screen, actually I forgot where but there i found an option in one of the d3's menus that allows you to leave the pioneer sync screen and use the ipod's display and buttons to access the ipod directly.

- You can leave the ipod menu and return to navigation functions without disrupting music playback.

- The shuffle all button at the bottom actually stops your current playlist and plays ALL of your library in shuffle mode. Don't hit this by accident! To shuffle your current playlist you have to go out into a menu and change the shuffle mode.

- As I said before, the only real complaint from me is that the song tags don't scroll. But that won't kill this deal.

At the end of the day, I 100% recommend this solution for ipod owners. I don't have a video ipod so I can't comment about ipod video playback.