AVIC411.com

USB Startup times

I recently bought a Z-140BH and like the unit for the most part.  The one thing that drives me crazy, though, is how long it takes to startup from USB.  I can start my truck, drive through the neighborhood, turn onto the major road, get on the highway and be to the next exit before the music starts playing.  It takes, on average, between 3-5 minutes to load up my 64gb thumb drive to play the maybe 30gb of music.  Is this standard, or is it any faster in other models?  Can I use a USB 3.0 thumb drive to speed it up?  Everything else loads up and is ready in under a minute, the only thing I havent tried yet is loading music onto a SD card.  Thanks in advance!

I recently bought a Z-140BH and like the unit for the most part.  The one thing that drives me crazy, though, is how long it takes to startup from USB.  I can start my truck, drive through the neighborhood, turn onto the major road, get on the highway and be to the next exit before the music starts playing.  It takes, on average, between 3-5 minutes to load up my 64gb thumb drive to play the maybe 30gb of music.  Is this standard, or is it any faster in other models?  Can I use a USB 3.0 thumb drive to speed it up?  Everything else loads up and is ready in under a minute, the only thing I havent tried yet is loading music onto a SD card.  Thanks in advance!

Pioneer sort of/kind of fixed that in the Z150. What I believe the problem is, your unit has no way of writing a sort to your thumb drive. It has to sort the entire drive every time it powers up. The bigger the drive, the longer it takes to sort. And even when it does sort, there's no real usable rhyme or reason to it. The sort result usually is how the files are arranged on the drive. If it's any consolation, my Z150 will sort a 240 gig SSD in about 30 seconds, but suffers from the same lack of a logical sort.

My workaround is one of two things. I bought an iPod Classic 160 gig when I had the AVH-P2400, which is not without its own issues. Quite randomly, it will lock up and force me to reboot the iPod. There's also the problem of Apple products being unable to work with .flac files, the lack of crossfading, and gapless playback leaves much to be desired.

I've been able to Bluetooth off of my Android phone using Poweramp as the player. I use an OTG cable and run the SSD through the phone. Using the phone, I suffer from the same issue of having to rescan the files when the phone is disconnected.

There's a bit of work going on to use a Nexus 7 as a head unit. I don't intend to go quite that far - I have quite an investment in the Z150 and I'm not quite ready to write that off - but it does look promising to Bluetooth audio from the Nexus to the Z150. I have access to far better navi products to boot.