AVIC411.com

USB Flash Drives on NEX devices -- What are you using?

After having Abt replace my 4000, the SD card reader and USB drives work.  I've got my Class 10, 32GB PNY card working.  My installer was able to get his 64GB USB flash drive to work.  I am unable to get the PNY Compact Attache 64GB drive to work, formatted to FAT32, or NTFS.  So I'm wondering what brand and size USB drives others are using and having success with.  I'm considering picking up one of the Sandisk 64 drives and trying that.  But I'm curious what others are using.

So it seems that my unit is failing to read some of the FLAC files that I've got on my USB Flash Drive.  The lack of error or any kind of troubleshooting information is kind of troubling.  So now I have to go through 249 folders to figure out which ones the unit isn't reading and not add them.  Which doesn't make any sense, because my phone, my Sansa media players, my desktop, and my laptop all read and play the files no problem.

So it seems that my unit is failing to read some of the FLAC files that I've got on my USB Flash Drive.  The lack of error or any kind of troubleshooting information is kind of troubling.  So now I have to go through 249 folders to figure out which ones the unit isn't reading and not add them.  Which doesn't make any sense, because my phone, my Sansa media players, my desktop, and my laptop all read and play the files no problem.

Does the new Pioneer units read .flac files? If it does, it'd be a first.

Does the new Pioneer units read .flac files? If it does, it'd be a first.

Yes.  But I can't seem to find what it will and won't read.  Some of the stuff I've ripped, it reads.  Some of it, it doesn't.  But it doesn't tell me which files it's choking on.  Just sits and flashes "FORMAT READ"  This is pretty pathetic.  It's starting to look like I'm returning my second AVH-4000NEX and replacing it with a Kenwood something.  Maybe that will actually work as advertised.

*edit*

I reformatted the USB drive I was using, put just MP3s on it, somewhere around 42GB worth.  It loaded the files, but it took 15 minutes for it to read the entirety of the device.  I don't understand why it needs to read anything.  It should just mount the device and read as needed.  Waiting 15 minutes is simply unacceptable.

I just opened ticket #300604 with Pioneer concerning it not reading FLAC on anything other than a 2GB SD card.  If I use SDHC or USB media, it does not load the files.  Bonus: Installer has 4000NEX as well, generic 32GB USB stick with FLAC on it.  Reads just fine.

I believe the reason it takes so long to read the SD/USB stick is because it's reading the ID3 tags and generating a database of artist, album, and song information.

This lets you browse the device using the metadata and you don't have to look throuh the files manually, etc.

In my opinion, it's a incredibly useful feature but it seems strange that it would take so long.  I'm guessing it only happens the first time or when it's updated?

I believe the reason it takes so long to read the SD/USB stick is because it's reading the ID3 tags and generating a database of artist, album, and song information.

This lets you browse the device using the metadata and you don't have to look throuh the files manually, etc.

In my opinion, it's a incredibly useful feature but it seems strange that it would take so long.  I'm guessing it only happens the first time or when it's updated?

I've owned Kenwood and Alpine units prior to trying this Pioneer unit.  Both of those treated USB devices as mass storage controller devices.  It provided directory listings and loaded tags on-demand.  From a programming perspective, I can't see the benefit of loading gigs and gigs of tags into memory, when they may never be used.  So it sits there eating up system resources that could be free if they loaded on-demand.  The Kenwood DDX8901HD works how I would expect.  Plug in the device, it provides a directory listing, or it can read the tags, but it does it quickly.  It also addresses my Sansa MP3 players, which the Pioneer would not.  And the fact that 40+ gigs takes 20+ minutes for it to address, and doesn't make things any faster, makes it harder to swallow.

I'm using an AData 32 GB SDHC card and it works great.

I've filled the device with about 12 GB of music (not sure how many songs) and using a stopwatch it took 4 minutes 5 seconds to load the first time.  (you can listen/watch other stuff like HD Radio or SiriusXM while it's loading as well)

After the first time, it loads in under 5 seconds even if I remove and reinsert the SD card.

Also, searching by ID3 tag is fantastic and it can skip through songs extremely quickly.  sstrong42, I know you mentioned the Kenwood being better because it displays filename and path but the Pioneer can do that also if you want and the long initial load only happens once, but why would you want to browse your music by filename instead of ID3 tag (artist, album, song title, etc)?  The Pioneer is the only unit that supports this "Music Browse Mode" to my knowledge and it's an incredibly useful feature.

EDIT:  Also, I e-mailed Pioneer asking the maximum size of SD and USB devices and here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
SDHC is limited to 32 Gb, so that would be our limit as well.
USB is limited by the current draw (1.6 A) and it must be MSC (mass storage class).

I just opened ticket #300604 with Pioneer concerning it not reading FLAC on anything other than a 2GB SD card.  If I use SDHC or USB media, it does not load the files.  Bonus: Installer has 4000NEX as well, generic 32GB USB stick with FLAC on it.  Reads just fine.

I just threw this: http://kickass.to/pharrell-williams-g-i-r-l-2014-flac-se7en-t8955844.html album onto a 32GB USB drive and it worked flawlessly.

• 4 weeks later...