AVIC411.com

My thoughts on Nex8000

My thoughts on Nex8000 and iPhone 5s

After about a week I've had some time to play with the 8000. One thing I have to say is to really understand what you have and it's features, you truly have to read the owners manual.

Some comments and questions I had that others have helped me with or I found in the manual.

Map zoom pinch and zoom.

Works we'll, first in the settings you have to set your desired zoom, close far, normal. Works pretty good after you set to your liking. Would be a little better if you could set it in increments like I could on my Z2.

Map color. Not day/night setting.

For me I set the map background to a light green, otherwise the white streets blend in too much with the map background and u can barely see the streets. Adjust that color to your liking and boom it's fixed, forget about the default.

I've been testing the routes for navigation with the built in nav, vs using my iPhone separately with google maps and Navigon on my iPhone, routes come up good.

Love having the live traffic, speed cameras warning too. I turned off the audible over the speed limit warnings, but left the visible on.

I also like the alternate routes it prompts you with as your driving, you can disable this in your settings, if you don't like it.

A nice upgrade from z2 is the ability of voice navigation, volume adjustment and that it doesn't interrupt music to speak.

The added ability to search intersection is sweet, my first pioneer unit had that, my z2 didn't, it's great to have that back.

Bluetooth pandora, sometimes it won't connect the app on my phone unless turn off Bluetooth on my phone, and then turn it back on and all is well.

If I start pandora on radio. It forces you to respond on the phone to allow it to work, can be annoying.

What I don't understand is that sometimes it does connect and play pandora even though the app isn't open on the phone at all.

Sound system definitely sounds better playing iPod, sdcard audio, than using pandora or aha radio. I change the audio settings for Bluetooth vs connected/wired eq. Easy to adjust though which is nice, eq is one touch away in each source.

One other thing I very much like is that, you can adjust incoming voice call, I have some friends who are loud and some who speak low, just raise or lower the volume adjust how I can hear the caller.

If you don't read the manual, and make a bunch of adjustments to your preference, your experience will not be as great as if you did some reading.

Haven't tried apps yet, my cable is due in today.

So me being OCD, I couldn't let go why I couldn't get the connected services working so I called pioneer. It seems connected services will work once they release the AVICSync app. It has not been released and I was only told it would be soon. In the manual it does reference this app, but it couldn't be found on the App Store, now I know why.

Connected services can be found like this, map menu, settings, slide to the side and u will find it

When I connect lightning digital adapter in usb1 it does not recognize, iPhone or iPod as an iPod, but u can use the car audio app for iPod mode. If you connect iPod or iPhone directly use it as an iPod as long as in the settings you chose the connection type as USB.

Another thing you have to chose your connection in smartphone setup, you chose USB,Bluetooth, or hdmi/lightning adapter.

The problem I see if you chose Bluetooth you lose app mode.

If you chose USB, you lose app mode but you gain iPod control.

If you chose the apple adapter you gain app mode and lose iPod direct control but can control from car app.

So I tried this.

iPhone with apple hdmi lightning adapter in USB 1

iPod direct to USB 2.

If you chose the adapter in the settings, you dont see usb2 iPod 2

If you chose USB setting you lose apps but see iPod.

Another note, if you chose in settings the adapter, your nex will tell you unrecognized device if you go to usb1, however you can use hdmi as the audio source.

So I went hdmi lightning in USB 1 and chose the correct setting for that connection. Then I am using a 32 gig SD CARD, this way I get my apps and my music.