AVIC411.com

To anyone with an 8000 NEX and iphone 5 or 5s

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o.k. so I have experimented with this a little more this morning, I have tried both usb ports, tried complete reset of the iPod and changed the few settings that the iPod has with the same results, I have looked through all the settings in the aivc but still with 1 quick ignition cycle the music starts off at the beginning.  The other thing I have found is that my iPhone connected to usb 1 does remember its place with ignition, however using Pandora, then switching back to iPod mode (on the iPhone) looses its place which I have confirmed with Pioneer is proper believe it or not.  Unless I cannot resolve this I think this thing is going back.  I really like it other wise but I primarily use my iPod for music as it stores tons with no data usage and higher audio quality but having the go through all the menus to find the same song again is driving me mental.  I believe that this iPod is the generation just before the current one, can someone with an iPod classic please take a minute to confirm if theirs acts the same way???

o.k. so I have experimented with this a little more this morning, I have tried both usb ports, tried complete reset of the iPod and changed the few settings that the iPod has with the same results, I have looked through all the settings in the aivc but still with 1 quick ignition cycle the music starts off at the beginning.  The other thing I have found is that my iPhone connected to usb 1 does remember its place with ignition, however using Pandora, then switching back to iPod mode (on the iPhone) looses its place which I have confirmed with Pioneer is proper believe it or not.  Unless I cannot resolve this I think this thing is going back.  I really like it other wise but I primarily use my iPod for music as it stores tons with no data usage and higher audio quality but having the go through all the menus to find the same song again is driving me mental.  I believe that this iPod is the generation just before the current one, can someone with an iPod classic please take a minute to confirm if theirs acts the same way???

I have an iPod classic current gen and it always continues at the spot left off. It is in USB1. I wouldn't think that the gen of the iPod matters, but it's the version of software on the iPod. I believe I am 2.04 is what I have. I hope this helps

The Pandora thing is kind of a PITA as far as i'm concerned. I have 2 iPods connected to my head unit. 1 for music and 1 for Audible. And i have my iPhone 5 using BT for Siri (sending emails and texts) and for phone use (i don't want all my music on my smaller 32GB iPhone as it stores lot of apps, some basic music, pictures i take, etc... wouldn't be enough room for the music i want to have access to in the car). I don't use the AppRadio stuff nor anything else. My iPhone is not plugged in, in any way, to my head unit (8000nex). 

My idea was the following:

iPod1 (iPod touch 64GB all my music)

iPod2 (iPod touch 32GB with my audiobooks)

iPhone via BT for Pandora

I originally had my smartphone setup as Other -> USB (when i initially tried to set it up as iPhone/iPod->AV or USB, etc.. it wouldn't do anything the way i wanted). However i couldn't do any Pandora or aha. However iPod1 and iPod 2 ALWAYS remembered the correct spot when i switched back and forth or after power cycles (leaving for work in the morning, or back home after work, etc...)Then i changed my smartphone back to iPhone/iPod -> USB. And Pandora and aha was now accessible. I was told that Pandora uses iPod1 and must be USB AND BT (Pandora uses the BT and the Music app uses USB)

I still have my Siri, both iPods work. The Pandora label is there.  I can click on the Pandora button and it launches Pandora on my ipod1. Now, if i'm at home or near a totally open wifi and my iPod1 connects to wifi Pandora will play. If i turn on Local Hotspot on my iPhone and connect my iPod1 to it, then Pandora will work no problems too. Awesome right? Wrong. Once "Pandora" is allowed it now decides that it is the DEFAULT action of my iPod1. So i get in the car, turn it to iPod1 (from SiriusXM) and it jumps to playing Pandora (not using the Pandora feature of the 8000nex), but it tells my ipod1 to start playing the Pandora app and it plays over USB. I then have to click on the categories button and choose a playlist for example. Listen to some ACDC as i jam to the store. Turn the car off, grab some gas or food or whatever and then get back in the car. Crank up the car and bam! it's back in Pandora Mode. Totally ignores that i was listening to the Music App and some play list.. I have to go back to the categories and choose the playlist again and start the song all over again. 

So i have 2 options. Don't use Pandora at all (and possibly redo my smartphone setup to Other -> USB so it's not even an option - which worked amazingly well), or deal with the fact that it's gonna want to select Pandora and lose my playlist every time i choose iPod1. I'm hoping this is some kind of glitch and Pioneer will fix it. But i'm not holding my breath on that one. I would love to use Pandora, but i have plenty of music on my iPod so it's not a deal breaker. The only other thing i can think of is to grab my iPod1 after i do enjoy some Pandora and possibly kill the app on the iPod and hopefully when i switch back to iPod1 the 8000nex won't decided to try and start the Pandora app. Not really sure what's best here. Need to do some more testing tonight at home. 

I always have the option i guess of connecting the iPhone to iPod1 via USB and using it that way, however i like to jump in my car and just drive. I don't want to have to always plug my phone in just to go down the street or to the gym, or even to work, simply to have some music. I could indeed put some music on my Audiobook iPod2 but i like the ability to switch between Music and my Audiobook i'm listening too, without having to pull out my iPod2 from the console and navigate around the thing choosing a different app and such when theoretically i can do this from the head unit by having 2 different iPods. 

So even though they are trying to allow you to do some stuff from the head unit, you still have to be willing to grab the phone and change apps. Even in the traditional setup with 1 iPhone in USB 1 with USB setup in the smartphone setup, you could launch Pandora from the head unit, but if you wanted to go back to your music, you would then have to select USB1 on the head unit, then on the phone switch over to the Music App and choose a playlist and a new song (both of which is starting from scratch again). So even in the most basic of setups, it appears something isn't right in Kansas with the programing, and you can't just switch easily between music and Pandora. Maybe if you were ONLY a music person or ONLY a Pandora person this might be satisfactory. But heaven forbid if you actually enjoy both. 

Anyone else out there have similar experiences or gotten something to work properly (completely properly) in the scenario i'm trying to setup?

I have some other posts about iPods forgetting their place.  I have an iPhone connected to usb 1 and an iPod classic connected to usb 2, smartphone setup to usb/iphone.  If I play pandora, then switch back to iPod mode (the phones iPod) it actually continues to play pandora and show that information on the screen outside of saying iPod on the top, after you reselect your music then is goes back to normal, this is a huge pita that is driving me nuts.  I called Pioneer and they say that this is normal but the lady really didn't sound very bright as I had to explain this about 20 times.  The other problem I have is the iPod classic will always loose it's place after an ignition cycle however someone else reported that they do not have this problem so maybe that ones just related to me.

I have some other posts about iPods forgetting their place.  I have an iPhone connected to usb 1 and an iPod classic connected to usb 2, smartphone setup to usb/iphone.  If I play pandora, then switch back to iPod mode (the phones iPod) it actually continues to play pandora and show that information on the screen outside of saying iPod on the top, after you reselect your music then is goes back to normal, this is a huge pita that is driving me nuts.  I called Pioneer and they say that this is normal but the lady really didn't sound very bright as I had to explain this about 20 times.  The other problem I have is the iPod classic will always loose it's place after an ignition cycle however someone else reported that they do not have this problem so maybe that ones just related to me.

My iPod touch on USB2 always remembers it's place. However its running the Audible app. I haven't tested it with Music. I'll do that tonight and see if it still works the same way. 

Really interesting what you guys are posting here, now I have a better picture of what NEX can or cannot do.

My question here is, let's say I want to use USB1 as a regular ipod (USB to lightning), but USB2 for appradio - or viceversa.  Will the unit let me do that? Or, by selecting appradio on one will automatically select that option on the other?

Ok, this is really interesting, am looking at getting this unit and after reading some of these posts I am LOT more confused about the functionality than I thought I would have been and really don't know whether I should bother with the additional hdmi digital av cable connection or not.

1) assume that just using the lightning cable to iphone 5s connection does not give you album art but does transfer the native library. Is that right?

2) what is the difference between using bluetooth audio connection vs the lightning cable only for iphone5s? I had assumed both transfer the music library and work identically? Is the difference just audio quality?

3) Does anyone think that id be missing out on core functionality if I didn't bother with the digital av adapter? I'm not able to install the unit myself so am not sure if I should get the full digital av set of cables installed now or not. Assume both USB connections are round the back of the unit?

Any advice really appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Really interesting what you guys are posting here, now I have a better picture of what NEX can or cannot do.

My question here is, let's say I want to use USB1 as a regular ipod (USB to lightning), but USB2 for appradio - or viceversa.  Will the unit let me do that? Or, by selecting appradio on one will automatically select that option on the other?

I'm not exactly sure. I thought USB1 had to be used for the AppRadio (via HDMI/AV cable). When i had mine setup originally i had my iPhone in USB1 with HDMI/AV cable and my iPod touch in the USB2 port and that worked just fine. So if you are OK with reversing that order, then yes, that will work. But if you need to keep it in the order you have then i can't answer that one for you, maybe someone else has this setup.

Ok, this is really interesting, am looking at getting this unit and after reading some of these posts I am LOT more confused about the functionality than I thought I would have been and really don't know whether I should bother with the additional hdmi digital av cable connection or not.

1) assume that just using the lightning cable to iphone 5s connection does not give you album art but does transfer the native library. Is that right?

2) what is the difference between using bluetooth audio connection vs the lightning cable only for iphone5s? I had assumed both transfer the music library and work identically? Is the difference just audio quality?

3) Does anyone think that id be missing out on core functionality if I didn't bother with the digital av adapter? I'm not able to install the unit myself so am not sure if I should get the full digital av set of cables installed now or not. Assume both USB connections are round the back of the unit?

Cheers

Mark

1. I have album art, full library full everything with just USB1 -> iPod via 1 long USB extension cable and 1 lightning adapter. So you are wrong on that. You get full functionality. 

2. I'm not a huge fan of bluetooth since it drains the battery, sometimes acts randomly (like disconnecting etc..). If you use the USB it will charge your phone, less likely to have random disconnects (but not entirely so), and over BT you don't get album Art. 

3. I don't use my HDMI/AV cable, but i went ahead and ran a longer HDMI cable out of my head unit and into my armrest console (where i keep my iPods and my USB extension out of the head unit), so that i can add it later if Pioneers fixes some issues and/or i decide i want it. I installed my myself and i've taken it out of the dash at least 5 times now to screw around. But if i were you i'd go ahead and run the HDMI cable and have the installer run it. to where you keep your USB extension to connect to your iphone/ipod. That way if you wanted to later you can buy the AV cable and bingo you're in business. 

Cheers

Mark

Hey Mark, to answer your questions

Yes. You get album artwork with the lightning connected as USB.

Sound quality is much better than Bluetooth streaming with the cable.

Also album artwork doesn't work with Bluetooth streaming.

Your entire library is shown and you have full control of your liberty via the head unit.

If your using the digital av adapter, you have to setup the unit to see the adapter. My personal opinion. Digital adapter sucks. App radio is laggy. I thought i would be excited about it. Quality is not great in app radio being it is connected via HDMI.

Hope this answered your questions. But overall I'm excited and love this unit.

I'm not exactly sure. I thought USB1 had to be used for the AppRadio (via HDMI/AV cable). When i had mine setup originally i had my iPhone in USB1 with HDMI/AV cable and my iPod touch in the USB2 port and that worked just fine. So if you are OK with reversing that order, then yes, that will work. But if you need to keep it in the order you have then i can't answer that one for you, maybe someone else has this setup.

You can't use usb2 for app radio. Only usb1/iPod for app radio.