AVIC411.com

To anyone with an 8000 NEX and iphone 5 or 5s

I'm not exactly sure. I thought USB1 had to be used for the AppRadio (via HDMI/AV cable). When i had mine setup originally i had my iPhone in USB1 with HDMI/AV cable and my iPod touch in the USB2 port and that worked just fine. So if you are OK with reversing that order, then yes, that will work. But if you need to keep it in the order you have then i can't answer that one for you, maybe someone else has this setup.

The order is not important.  I just wanted to know if I could have the best of both worlds: ipod functionality and appradio.  My idea was to have both options because I really miss ipod functions that I lost when converted my 140BH to appradio, which sucks but at least I can have video capabilities like slingplayer, etc.

So, thank you very much for your answer, one more reason to buy a NEX.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't use usb2 for app radio. Only usb1/iPod for app radio.

I'm assuming the same goes for Pandora and Aha as well?

I was playing around with one of these in a local store, and they had USB2 hooked up but not USB1. Was able to play from the Music app fine, but refused to let me go into Pandora or Aha, even after telling it that I was using an iPhone with USB. I'm tempted to swap out my Kenwood/Garmin unit with one for the better display/perf (and they addressed my few gripes with the Z150's nav system), but not being able to confirm that it will work for Pandora is holding me back from laying down the cash for it. 

Edit: I'll add that I was paired via BT and plugged in at the time.

Pandora and aha works with usb1. Not sure about 2. To me I couldn't care less about app radio. I don't see myself using it. Unless I really want to. So mine radio will be set for iPod USB. Not digas adapter

Same here as I am utilizing USB1. App Radio sucks in my opinion, I setup Aha for Facebook and it just reads the recent updates. I don't use Pandora via plugging my phone in because I have it set to bluetooth and it automatically plays when I enter the car. One thing I noticed is it will start playing a song via BT but my pandora app wont be opened. When I actually open pandora it will switch to what was last playing in pandora...weird. I just upgraded to a 64GB thumbdrive with about 30GB's worth of movies and music, and that's dedicated to USB1.

You can't use usb2 for app radio. Only usb1/iPod for app radio.

Hey Mark, to answer your questions

Yes. You get album artwork with the lightning connected as USB.

Sound quality is much better than Bluetooth streaming with the cable.

Also album artwork doesn't work with Bluetooth streaming.

Your entire library is shown and you have full control of your liberty via the head unit.

If your using the digital av adapter, you have to setup the unit to see the adapter. My personal opinion. Digital adapter sucks. App radio is laggy. I thought i would be excited about it. Quality is not great in app radio being it is connected via HDMI.

Hope this answered your questions. But overall I'm excited and love this unit.

Thanks for the info. Really appreciated. Am going to dive in and get one next week then!

I tried out App Mode once....it's okay, a little buggy, and requires you to have the iPhone out to press all those authentication screens. That's not only too much of a distraction while driving, but it's also not very practical of a setup. Think about it.....why would I spend $1400 on a radio, that is optimized for iPod and iPhone, yet still not be able to have my iPhone hidden or concealed somewhere?!

It looks twice as slick when nobody knows or sees where the content is coming from. This is why I just use the lightning cable or Bluetooth.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting the same message. Incompatible device.

I am getting the  message (Incompatible USB cable). But the funny thing is the AppRadio still works when I switched to Digital AV. I switched to a different Lighting cable that I know works and same message. Do I need to change out the USB cable on USB 1. USB2 and USB1 works fine when I change the settings to USB  instead of Digital AV.

Your thoughts?

Jimbo

I am getting the  message (Incompatible USB cable). But the funny thing is the AppRadio still works when I switched to Digital AV. I switched to a different Lighting cable that I know works and same message. Do I need to change out the USB cable on USB 1. USB2 and USB1 works fine when I change the settings to USB  instead of Digital AV.

Your thoughts?

Jimbo

If your getting incompatible device while you have digital av selected in the smartphone setup and chose USB 1 as your source to play music, we are all getting that message from from the nex with iPhones. It's their design. I think its a flaw and should still let u see it as an iPod, but this is their design to force you to use the app radio music app.

I know I've hit pioneer with several emails about the unit, hopefully others have with maybe the chance of them changing how usb1 and usb2 should have its own connection selections for each

If your getting incompatible device while you have digital av selected in the smartphone setup and chose USB 1 as your source to play music, we are all getting that message from from the nex with iPhones. It's their design. I think its a flaw and should still let u see it as an iPod, but this is their design to force you to use the app radio music app.

I know I've hit pioneer with several emails about the unit, hopefully others have with maybe the chance of them changing how usb1 and usb2 should have its own connection selections for each

Thanks. I was going to take out the HU and put a different USB cable in. You saved me time!!

JImbo

i have a iphone5 hooked up to usb1 via usb extension and lighting cable when i fist hooked my phone up i got the (Incompatible USB cable) message. it turns out that it was the lighning cables causing this. only my real apple cable worked none of the cheap gas station cables would work even though they charged my phone just fine in the house. also my playlist would always start from the begining a few days ago there was a software update for the iphone and after the update it now plays were it left off when i shut the car off.

One more thing to add about connecting via USB vs. BT... iTunes Radio shows up as an option in the list (alongside playlists, artists, albums, etc.) over BT, but NOT USB amazingly! When you tap it, it shows you all the stations you have created. Hopefully Pioneer will get this feature working over USB with the firmware update!

One more thing to add about connecting via USB vs. BT... iTunes Radio shows up as an option in the list (alongside playlists, artists, albums, etc.) over BT, but NOT USB amazingly! When you tap it, it shows you all the stations you have created. Hopefully Pioneer will get this feature working over USB with the firmware update!

Ya I updated my joined a couple of days ago but haven't been in my truck since, I too use a cheapy gas station cable but haven't had any problems with mine

So I was just playing around some more... iPhone over USB doesn't have a dedicated "Radio" icon in the Root menu like Playlists, Artists, etc., BUT your stations are listed if you tap on Playlists! For me, they are at the bottom of the list, and are labeled as "Radio: [station name]".