AVIC411.com

AVIC-8000NEX - My initial thoughts (including screen brightness measurements)

Yes, I haven't used the 4000 model but I've used the previous model (AVH-X8500BHS).

Before purchasing my 8000, I contacted Pioneer asking if the LCD screen used in the 4000 was the same as the X8500BHS and they said "they believe it is the same screen".  Based on that information and many first-hand reports from other people comparing the 4000 and 8000, I think it's safe to say that the 8000 is much brighter.  However, as you point out, I don't have any specific numbers to compare it to...

I have to agree with the assessment of the NEX4000. Almost impossible to see in sunlight. I was very disappointed with the display. Sound quality is not what I expected either and the iphone app radio connectivity only works half the time, Yes I have checked connections and even with manufacturer recommended cables, no difference. The avic u210 was added for navigation, talk about childish maps from naviextras based in Europe.  Why did this unit get stuck with that map service. I don't even use it anymore its so awful. On the bright side, bluetooth connectivity and sound quality is excellent along with the auto music start up.  Music rewind with the Sirius XM accessory is nice, however sound quality between Sirius XM , Hd radio and SD card music is extremely noticeable with Sirius XM's quality very poor compared to the original unit builit into the vehicle. I've even considered putting it back in since I still have it. Hanging on to see if car play offers any reason to keep to keep this unit. I know others are extremely satisfied with theirs, but this one has too many flaws to be ready for primetime yet. 

I have to agree with the assessment of the NEX4000. Almost impossible to see in sunlight. I was very disappointed with the display. Sound quality is not what I expected either and the iphone app radio connectivity only works half the time, Yes I have checked connections and even with manufacturer recommended cables, no difference. The avic u210 was added for navigation, talk about childish maps from naviextras based in Europe.  Why did this unit get stuck with that map service. I don't even use it anymore its so awful. On the bright side, bluetooth connectivity and sound quality is excellent along with the auto music start up.  Music rewind with the Sirius XM accessory is nice, however sound quality between Sirius XM , Hd radio and SD card music is extremely noticeable with Sirius XM's quality very poor compared to the original unit builit into the vehicle. I've even considered putting it back in since I still have it. Hanging on to see if car play offers any reason to keep to keep this unit. I know others are extremely satisfied with theirs, but this one has too many flaws to be ready for primetime yet. 

I'm pretty sure a lot of the issues you are having would be the same on pretty much all the other NEX models except the screen quality on the 8000.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have lived with the 8000 for a while and am really liking it. The APPRADIO3 sounded fine, this sounds great. The AR3 BT worked ok, this connects immediately and works better/responds faster.

My only complaints are the delay of carplay firmware and lack of info on an actual release date. I bought my radio being told early summer which is over, what is next? Early fall?

I drove today with someone else in the car & had the sound turned down & found the sub (running from an external amp from the RCA sub out) is not controlled by the volume. It stayed at 4 (fine for running at moderate levels) but over powering at low levels on the volume control.  Is there a setting I am missing to modulate it via volume control?

I drove today with someone else in the car & had the sound turned down & found the sub (running from an external amp from the RCA sub out) is not controlled by the volume. It stayed at 4 (fine for running at moderate levels) but over powering at low levels on the volume control.  Is there a setting I am missing to modulate it via volume control?

if you want volume control u need to conect to the sub output RCA, or turn down the amp setting.

Amarillotx: What is a u210? Why did you even buy the 4k? Did u mount it On top of the dash in direct sun light? Sound quality is the same on all the next models, it must be the rest of your system thats lacking.

I like your thinking, no such animal as u210. i have not had any sound issues, sunlight issues with screen or anything.  My system rocks and CarPlay only looks to be icing on the cake.

• 1 month later...