AVIC411.com

AVIC-X950BH Voice Recognition Commands / Steeting Wheel Controls

Hello,

I have a Subaru Outback 2013, and of course went with the model w/o NAV so I could put in a Pioneer HU. I have the harmon kardon edition, and it has lots of steering wheel controls, and with the stock stereo I could hit the voice command button, and make phone calls, play songs, etc... I currently use an iPod, and an android w/ MHL adapter with the  CD-AH200C kit, and use AppRadio Unchained. Anyways, I have two questions with the AVIC-X950BH;

1) What are, and how do I use the voice recognition commands? I haven't seen any mention in the manual, but I have seen people discuss VR on this blog

2) My steering wheel controls only allow me to answer phone calls, change volume, and use the menu / back button on my android phone (SG3). How can I get the voice command button to work?

It seems like people are suggesting I need an after market kit, like one of these-

Part Number: ISFM2351 Part Number: SWI-RC

There are a lot to chose from-

http://www.pac-audio.com/productSearch.aspx?Make=Subaru&MakeId=31&Model=Outback&ModelId=1207&Year=2013&YearId=34

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

jon

I had to install two adapter units when I put the X950BH unit in my Chevy HHR. One was for adapting to the car's "LAN" electrical system and the other was for the steering wheel controls. I deal with a pretty good stereo shop locally since I did not want to try and figure out which little boxes were the best ones. So far with two Pioneer units they have been great so I would suggest trying to find a local shop that knows the X950BH units and get their advice. 

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if I was missing something, because I didn't see any VR options on the HU. I use AppRadio Unchained, so I have my android screen mirrored on my deck, and so I can use any voice commands from there I guess. Anyone get their steering wheel voice command button to connect to their phone via Bluetooth and launch an app like Google Voice Search?

Thanks,

Jon