AVIC411.com

App radio on 8000nex

Hey guys. Just wanted to state that this unit is awesome and I love it. I thought I would love the app radio feature. But I don't. Worst idea. It has it pros and cons. But if it's connected via hdmi why does the quality look so bad?? Everything looks fine. Blu ray files look amazing. Except hdmi when using the digital av adapter??

Anything is great to what I had in my 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z-71. I have the 6000nex. It's a great unit. I just asked my dealer who installed it about the App mode. I need a particular cable for it and he say it hasn't come out yet. Do you know the exact part number thru Pioneer? I have an iPhone 4s.

Hey guys. Just wanted to state that this unit is awesome and I love it. I thought I would love the app radio feature. But I don't. Worst idea. It has it pros and cons. But if it's connected via hdmi why does the quality look so bad?? Everything looks fine. Blu ray files look amazing. Except hdmi when using the digital av adapter??

Only two things I can think of:

- Scaling from the resolution that the iPhone is putting out isn't a clean multiple of what the screen is, causing problems (although Blu-rays look fine, so I'm confused).

- The Digital AV adapter doesn't guarantee uncompressed video. The iPhone compresses it into some form of MPEG-4, sends it over the cable to the adapter, which then uncompresses it and spits out the HDMI signal. When speed is important, quality usually suffers a little. But it shouldn't be that bad. 

I'm curious what artifacts you are seeing with it: pixelation? macro blocking? something else?

Anything is great to what I had in my 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z-71. I have the 6000nex. It's a great unit. I just asked my dealer who installed it about the App mode. I need a particular cable for it and he say it hasn't come out yet. Do you know the exact part number thru Pioneer? I have an iPhone 4s.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IU201S

Only two things I can think of:

- Scaling from the resolution that the iPhone is putting out isn't a clean multiple of what the screen is, causing problems (although Blu-rays look fine, so I'm confused).

- The Digital AV adapter doesn't guarantee uncompressed video. The iPhone compresses it into some form of MPEG-4, sends it over the cable to the adapter, which then uncompresses it and spits out the HDMI signal. When speed is important, quality usually suffers a little. But it shouldn't be that bad. 

I'm curious what artifacts you are seeing with it: pixelation? macro blocking? something else?

HDMI looks like crap. but when I play a video from youtube its a EHHH. not the best quality. Also the appradio is not as a crisp and sharp as in the main menu of the radio. like Kstryker said "I can live without it". I am going to hook up my wii U for the kids this weekend. Well see how it looks. I will post videos of it.

I agree that the HDMI input isn't fantastic.  I've tested it with an iPad Air (Digital A/V adapter) and my Nexus 5 phone.  The output looks fine but it's considerably softer than the rest of the UI.

If it makes you feel any better, the HDMI looks even worse on the Kenwood units (DNX891HD, DDX8901HD) and looks the same on the Pioneer AppRadio 3.

However, because the navigation is fantastic on the 8000NEX, I really don't see any need to use AppRadio mode.  It's nice to have as a "backup" though and it works perfectly fine with AR Unchained, etc.

HDMI looks like crap. but when I play a video from youtube its a EHHH. not the best quality. Also the appradio is not as a crisp and sharp as in the main menu of the radio. like Kstryker said "I can live without it". I am going to hook up my wii U for the kids this weekend. Well see how it looks. I will post videos of it.

Awesome...can't wait to see it.

I agree that the HDMI input isn't fantastic.  I've tested it with an iPad Air (Digital A/V adapter) and my Nexus 5 phone.  The output looks fine but it's considerably softer than the rest of the UI.

If it makes you feel any better, the HDMI looks even worse on the Kenwood units (DNX891HD, DDX8901HD) and looks the same on the Pioneer AppRadio 3.

However, because the navigation is fantastic on the 8000NEX, I really don't see any need to use AppRadio mode.  It's nice to have as a "backup" though and it works perfectly fine with AR Unchained, etc.

You hit it right on the nail. I'm very simplistic and granted there are a lot of features on the device. I know I will only be using just a few... Nav, Backup Camera, BT Audio via Pandora and USB to watch movies. Mixtrax is ok, I thought there would be multiple different DJ transitions...I've only notice 1 transition which it fades to the next song. I can see myself using these but that's about it.

Interested to see how the wiiU looks on this screen.

Btw, not sure if it's a coincidence or if you're a fan, but can't nobody do it like 311.

will post video later. Trying to upload it to YouTube. Damn cell towers. Can't find a wifi signal where I'm at right now.